What causes a shuttlecock to change direction mid-flight?

• Thread starter Milind_shyani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary: That's interesting. It does make sense that the heavier bottom would cause it to flip more quickly.I don't think there's anything funny in the question, its a good application of physics to sports :smile:In summary, the heavier bottom of the shuttlecock causes it to flip more quickly than a lighter bottom.
Milind_shyani
Quite a funny question
Now when we hit a shuttle cock by racket or any other means, the shuttle cock moves in the direction of the force but halfway the position of the shuttlecock changes ie in the beggning the cock faces us and then at halfway the cock starts facing the opposite player.
I hope you understand the question:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your question, exactly?

I think I understand your question a bit.
The bottom portion of the shuttle cock being heavier than the feathery part has a tendency to point downwards always. Also air drag causes the feathery part to be pushed backwards, away from the opponent as the shuttle moves forward.
I believe this is the reason why they behave the way they should.
I don't think there's anything funny in the question, its a good application of physics to sports :smile:

arunbg said:
I think I understand your question a bit.
The bottom portion of the shuttle cock being heavier than the feathery part has a tendency to point downwards always. Also air drag causes the feathery part to be pushed backwards, away from the opponent as the shuttle moves forward.
I believe this is the reason why they behave the way they should.
I don't think there's anything funny in the question, its a good application of physics to sports :smile:

Hi
Thankyou but then suppose that we have a single player and he just starts hitting the shuttle cock vertically in this case the shuttle cock travels vertical distance and then at the highest point it changes it behaves strangely ie in the beggining the cock faces us and and then it does something like a somersault and then at it starts coming downwards with the cock facing us.

Instead of just simply going up and then falling down it does something like a somersault at its peak position

It doesn't just do the sumersault at peak position (or halfway through it's trajectory), it does it almost immediately after being hit because flying backwards is very unstable due to aerodynamic drag forces.

Yes, I agree with russ. Air drag forces the shuttle cock rounded side to lead in the direction of travel velocity. The turn happens immediately after you hit it and again when the shuttle cock is moving downwards.
In fact, I just checked with a real one outside, to make sure. That's the first time physicsforums made me exercise!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies:smile:

russ_watters said:
It doesn't just do the sumersault at peak position (or halfway through it's trajectory), it does it almost immediately after being hit because flying backwards is very unstable due to aerodynamic drag forces.
The first 1/2 summersault is immediate, but the second one occurs just after the peak.

Well, the shuttlecock is really always pointed in the direction of motion, so it only really flips quickly if it is traveling nearly vertically.

1. How does a shuttlecock move through the air?

The movement of a shuttlecock through the air is due to a combination of forces acting on it. When hit by a racket, the shuttlecock experiences a forward force known as drag, which is caused by air resistance. At the same time, the shuttlecock also experiences a downward force due to gravity. These two forces work together to create a parabolic flight path for the shuttlecock.

2. What factors affect the movement of a shuttlecock?

The movement of a shuttlecock can be affected by a number of factors, including the speed and angle at which it is hit, the weight and design of the shuttlecock, and the surrounding air conditions. The type of racket used and the strength and skill of the player can also impact the movement of the shuttlecock.

3. Is there a difference in the movement of a shuttlecock in different playing conditions?

Yes, the movement of a shuttlecock can be significantly affected by the playing conditions. For example, in high altitudes where air density is lower, the shuttlecock will travel faster and have a longer flight path. Windy conditions can also affect the flight of the shuttlecock, causing it to deviate from its intended path.

4. What is the ideal speed for a shuttlecock to move through the air?

The ideal speed of a shuttlecock depends on various factors such as playing conditions, type of racket, and skill of the player. Generally, a shuttlecock should be hit at a speed between 200-300 km/h to achieve the best flight path. However, this speed can vary depending on the player's style and technique.

5. Can the movement of a shuttlecock be predicted?

The movement of a shuttlecock can be predicted to some extent based on the laws of physics and the factors that affect its flight. However, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact path of a shuttlecock due to the unpredictable nature of air resistance and other external factors such as wind and humidity. Skilled players can also manipulate the movement of the shuttlecock through their technique, making it even more challenging to predict.