Some reaction between a proton and antiproton

In summary, the question is whether the given reaction is possible and if so, what type of interaction it is (EM, weak, or strong). The conservation laws are not broken, making the process possible. The issue is how to represent \pi^0 in Feynman diagrams, as it is a superposition of u\bar{u} and d\bar{d}. It is concluded that u\bar{u} do form a \pi^0, making it an allowed strong interaction.
Ahmes

Homework Statement

Is the following reaction possible? If so, what is the type of interaction (EM, weak or strong)?
[tex]p+\bar{p}\rightarrow\pi^+ + \pi^- + \pi^0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Conservation laws and rules of thumb regarding types of interactions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think any conservation laws are broken so the process is possible. The question is how exactly. I don't have any idea how to put [itex]\pi^0[/itex] into Feynman diagrams... since its a superposition of two separate quark configurations. I drew the following:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6554/pixo3.png
If [itex]\pi^0[/itex] was just [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] then my question would be whether only changing quark configuration means that it is a strong interaction. And if so, how to draw a Feynman diagram showing what really changed.
But [itex]\pi^0[/itex] is neither it nor [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex] - so what should I do?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]\pi^0[/itex] is a superposition of [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] and [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex], so [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] do form a [itex]\pi^0[/itex].

Allowed Strong Interaction

1. What is a proton and antiproton?

A proton is a positively charged subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. An antiproton is the antiparticle of a proton, meaning it has the same mass as a proton but with a negative charge.

2. What happens when a proton and antiproton collide?

When a proton and antiproton collide, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This is because they are both made of matter and antimatter, which have opposite charges and will completely destroy each other upon contact.

3. Can a proton and antiproton react without colliding?

Yes, it is possible for a proton and antiproton to react without colliding through a process called annihilation in flight. This occurs when the two particles come close enough to each other that their electric fields interact and cause the annihilation process.

4. What is the significance of studying reactions between a proton and antiproton?

Studying reactions between a proton and antiproton can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and the existence of matter and antimatter. It can also help us understand the nature of the universe and how it evolved from the Big Bang.

5. Are there any practical applications for reactions between a proton and antiproton?

Currently, there are no practical applications for reactions between a proton and antiproton. However, the technology used to create and study these reactions has led to advancements in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment.