Mathematics & Introductory Physics

In summary, a sophomore in high school is interested in studying the universe and has only recently taken up mathematics. He is interested in purchasing a few books on the subjects and would appreciate any recommendations.
Adam Rich
Hello,

I'm currently a sophomore in High School, and have only just recently found a very strong interest in the workings of the universe. I've only taken up to Algebra (although I am pretty proficient with it) as far as math goes. I'm a relatively fast learner, and am interested in buying a few books on the subjects (budget is about $150USD for right now).

Any recommendations on some books that will hopefully aid in teaching me some higher level mathematics and general concepts for physics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
geometry + algebra 2 -> trig/precal -> calc

i don't know any good books below calc but for calc get calculus by michael spivak

physics by halliday,resnick and krane is probably the best but brand new it's expensive as hell so i found you this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Physics-by-David-Halliday-Kenneth-S-Krane-Robert_W0QQitemZ330153575970QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2228QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

that's probably just the classical mechanics part so you'll have to find the electricity and magnetism book too.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT get the Chabay and Sherwood textbooks on physics, I am using them in myfirst year and I absolutely hate them! Ok, they're not aweful, but they're not too fantastic either.

qspeechc said:
Please, whatever you do, do NOT get the Chabay and Sherwood textbooks on physics, I am using them in myfirst year and I absolutely hate them! Ok, they're not aweful, but they're not too fantastic either.

Do you have more specific (and more useful) criticisms and praises of the Chabay and Sherwood's texts?

From what I can see, they are a refreshing [and, of course, aspiring to be a more effective] approach to teaching introductory physics. Certainly, since they are newcomers to that textbook style [as compared to the numerous variations on the Halliday & Resnick theme], there are bound to be some rough edges that will have to be ironed out.

Well, sorry about that robphy. There are few people doing the same physics course as me that actually like the book (it's the prescribed book). I do not like the problems they give; I do not believe they are the correct level and they are too few. The programming problems are nice, but difficult if you have no programming backround, or even if you do. You'll need to consult the lecturer in that respect. Not enough worked problems, and I don't mean the type of problems that everyone can do, which are the ones they give. I do not like the excrutiatiang details they give, and I do not think they place the correct emphasise on topics. At the end of a chapter you have a vague idea of what you did and why. You often have to read a chapter 4, 5 times before you learn anything. The main ideas don't really come through.

Maybe it's just me; maybe I'm stupid or just lazy, but that's what I think of the book. I have to add, after reading what I just said, it isn't that bad, I would rate it 70%-75%.

And also, on Halliday; speaking to other people- third years etc- the book is good if you want to number-crunch, but ok if you want a deeper understanding and better grounding for higher physics, and I would agree from what I've read. It will get you through first year with no problem.

qspeechc said:
Well, sorry about that robphy. There are few people doing the same physics course as me that actually like the book (it's the prescribed book). I do not like the problems they give; I do not believe they are the correct level and they are too few. The programming problems are nice, but difficult if you have no programming backround, or even if you do. You'll need to consult the lecturer in that respect. Not enough worked problems, and I don't mean the type of problems that everyone can do, which are the ones they give. I do not like the excrutiatiang details they give, and I do not think they place the correct emphasise on topics. At the end of a chapter you have a vague idea of what you did and why. You often have to read a chapter 4, 5 times before you learn anything. The main ideas don't really come through.

Maybe it's just me; maybe I'm stupid or just lazy, but that's what I think of the book. I have to add, after reading what I just said, it isn't that bad, I would rate it 70%-75%.

qspeechc, thanks... that's a more useful set of comments.
You might consider including these comments in an end-of-the-course survey.
Since the number of users of C&S is currently small, your comments may get back to them...and may be useful to them.

I get the odd feeling that you're somehow connected to the book. Or just helpful. I have already done the course evaluation, but there was no place to voice your opinion on the book, only the course in general, so I think I said something to the effect that it was ok (the book). I heard it through the grape-vine that C&S is the same book they use at MIT, just a rumour though...

What seems to be the best introductory text, and quite unknown by the looks of things, is Alonso and Finn. Try googling it. Amazon.com gives it gleaming reports. Sounds like the ultimate physics text, but of course, I haven't read it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201565188/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cheaper than Halliday and Serway too, so it looks like the best buy, if you can get hold of it, otherwise I'd go for Serway, over Halliday, as I explained in post #6.

Also, you might want to check out Young and Freedman, it gets mixed results.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/080538684X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I guess the point is check out these books yourself, if you can,; by a library, preferably a university library, and see what YOU think of the books. Or just lend the books from the library and save your money.
With $150, you could get one new book, so look into some second hand ones. Go to a second-hand bookstore. I love them! I spend a lot of time on them. You can find some real gems- from new ones to fantastic out-of-print books.

As you can I thought about this a lot, and tried to give you a thorough answer, because I also snoop around for textbooks.

qspeechc said:
And also, on Halliday; speaking to other people- third years etc- the book is good if you want to number-crunch, but ok if you want a deeper understanding and better grounding for higher physics, and I would agree from what I've read. It will get you through first year with no problem.

Well it seems fine for introductory physics with calculus (currently what I'm using)

Like I said, there probably isn't a definitive text on physics, or any other subject. You have to decide for yourself what you like. Better yet, read as many texts as you can.

If only we had the money XD

qspeechc said:
I get the odd feeling that you're somehow connected to the book. Or just helpful.

I'm not directly connected with the text... although I have recently gotten to meet and chat with the authors from various AAPT and GRC events and from my working with VPython. When the text first came out, I was enthusiastic about it because of its new non-H&R approach and because of its attempt to visualize fields in three-dimensions. So, I am trying to be supportive of the their work.

qspeechc said:
What seems to be the best introductory text, and quite unknown by the looks of things, is Alonso and Finn. Try googling it. Amazon.com gives it gleaming reports. Sounds like the ultimate physics text, but of course, I haven't read it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201565188/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cheaper than Halliday and Serway too, so it looks like the best buy, if you can get hold of it, otherwise I'd go for Serway, over Halliday, as I explained in post #6.

Alonso and Finn seems like a very good and thorough book. I have a copy that I refer to every now and then. I don't know why it isn't being used more.

any suggestions on precollege math books?

thanks

ice109 said:
geometry + algebra 2 -> trig/precal -> calc

wait wait wait.
i have been waiting and asking people wtf calc is like and everyone that's in it just says its hard. I am like duh. well i guess i haven't found anyone who actually understands calc and able to explain it.

dam i loved geometry and algII is like fun...( couldn't find a good word)

so f you if calc is like allg II and geometry I am set
f you i will be going to differntial equations and linnier allgebra later on how are those.

1. What is the difference between mathematics and physics?

The main difference between mathematics and physics is that mathematics is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes, while physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Mathematics is used to describe and solve problems in physics, but physics also uses mathematics to develop theories and models to explain natural phenomena.

2. Why is mathematics important in introductory physics?

Mathematics is essential in introductory physics because it provides the language and tools needed to describe and analyze the physical world. Concepts such as calculus, algebra, and geometry are used to express physical laws and relationships between different quantities. Without mathematics, it would be impossible to make accurate predictions and understand the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are some key mathematical concepts used in introductory physics?

Some key mathematical concepts used in introductory physics include calculus, vectors, trigonometry, and algebra. Calculus is used to describe the motion of objects and to calculate rates of change. Vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Trigonometry is used to analyze the motion of objects in two or three dimensions. Algebra is used to manipulate equations and solve problems in physics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of mathematics in introductory physics?

To improve your understanding of mathematics in introductory physics, it is important to practice regularly and to seek help when needed. You can also try visualizing concepts and making connections between different mathematical concepts and physical phenomena. Additionally, using real-world examples and applications can help you better understand how mathematics is used in physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study introductory physics?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful in studying introductory physics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many introductory physics courses start with the basics and build upon them, so it is important to have a willingness to learn and practice. With dedication and effort, anyone can understand and apply mathematical concepts in introductory physics.