Topology: Show Equivalence of T and T' on R^2

• Thread starter emob2p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to show that T=[particular point topology on R^2 ((0,0) being the particular point)] is equal to T'=[topology on R^2 from taking the product of R in the particular point topology (0 being particular point) with itself]. The attempt raises a concern about whether the particular point topology and the Cartesian product topology are equivalent. The expert agrees that there is an issue with the attempt and explains the difference between the two topologies.
emob2p

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that T=[particular point topology on R^2 ((0,0) being the particular point)] is equal to T'=[topology on R^2 from taking the product of R in the particular point topology (0 being particular point) with itself].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure the book is wrong and this problem can't be solved. Consider the set {(0,0),(1,1)}. This is open in T, but I cannot see how this is open in T' since for the point (1,1) we cannot construct an open set that contains (1,1) but is contained in {(0,0),(1,1)}. The closest we can get is {0,1}x{0,1}={(0,0),(1,0),(0,1),(1,1)}. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
emob2p said:

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that T=[particular point topology on R^2 ((0,0) being the particular point)] is equal to T'=[topology on R^2 from taking the product of R in the particular point topology (0 being particular point) with itself.
For my own benefit, a set is open in the "particular point topology" if and only if it is either empty of contains the "particular point". In particular, a set in R^2 with the particular point topology, (0,0) being the "particular point", T, if and only if it contains (0,0).
A set is open in the "Cartesian product topology" if and only if it is the Cartesian product of two open sets. Here a set is open in T' if and only if it contains a pair (0,y) and the pair (x, 0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure the book is wrong and this problem can't be solved. Consider the set {(0,0),(1,1)}. This is open in T, but I cannot see how this is open in T' since for the point (1,1) we cannot construct an open set that contains (1,1) but is contained in {(0,0),(1,1)}. The closest we can get is {0,1}x{0,1}={(0,0),(1,0),(0,1),(1,1)}. Am I correct, or am I missing something?
If I have understood this correctly, yes you are right!

Not quite, the "Cartesian product topology" is generated from the set of Cartesian products of two open sets. If we took your definition for open sets in R^2, then it would be possible for the union of two open sets to not be open. See the difference?

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between objects within that space. It is concerned with the concepts of continuity, connectivity, and proximity.

2. What is meant by "equivalence" in topology?

In topology, two spaces are considered equivalent if there exists a continuous and invertible mapping between them. This means that the two spaces have the same topological properties and can be transformed into one another without changing the overall structure of the space.

3. How are T and T' defined on R^2?

In topology, T and T' refer to two different topologies (collections of open sets) defined on the same space. In this case, R^2 represents the Cartesian plane, and T and T' are two different ways of defining open sets on this plane.

4. What does it mean to "show equivalence" between T and T' on R^2?

To show equivalence between T and T' on R^2, we must prove that there exists a continuous and invertible mapping between the two topologies. This means that every open set in T must correspond to an open set in T', and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of showing equivalence between two topologies?

Showing equivalence between two topologies allows us to understand the similarities and differences between them. It also helps us to determine when two spaces can be considered "the same" from a topological perspective. This is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to use tools and techniques from one space in another equivalent space.