Easy Derivative - Not easy for me, though

• Thread starter fiziksfun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of x^(2sinx) using implicit differentiation and logarithmic differentiation. The person had trouble getting the correct answer but eventually realized that the given 'correct' answer was incorrect as it did not take into account the variable base of the exponential function.
fiziksfun
1. Derivate x^(2sinx)

3. I used implicit differentiation because there's an x in the base and in the exponent.
I have all of my work in the picture (if you can't see it in the attachment):

http://i12.tinypic.com/7x1sn44.jpg

I don't get the same answer as the correct answer which is 2cosx(x^2sinx), and I can't figure out why!

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible the answer is wrong !?

Attachments

• derivatives.jpg
    derivatives.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 7x1sn44.jpg
    7x1sn44.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting t = 2 sin x and you will get x^t where t(x). Differentiate x^t. What are you going to do if you get any t':s in your equation?

i'm getting the same answer as you

ya i just i checked my answer using a graph - its right and the other answer is wrong - thanks!

anytime :-]

fiziksfun said:
ya i just i checked my answer using a graph - its right and the other answer is wrong - thanks!

Whoever provided the 'correct' answer just treated it like d/dx (a^u), which only works for a constant a > 0. When the base of the exponential function is itself a variable or function, logarithmic differentiation is called for, which is what you did. (I sure hope that wasn't a TA or instructor who wrote that 'answer'...)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative of a function allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of the function. It can help us determine maximum and minimum points, rates of change, and other important characteristics of a function.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

What are some common mistakes when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include forgetting to apply the rules correctly, not simplifying the expression, and not taking the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. It's important to double check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any tips for making finding derivatives easier?

Practice and familiarize yourself with the rules and techniques for finding derivatives. It also helps to break down complex functions into simpler parts and apply the rules step by step. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources if you're struggling.