Proving Normality of the Commutator Subgroup in Group Theory [SOLVED]

In summary, the conversation discussed proving that the commutator subgroup is normal. It was shown that the subgroup generated by all commutators is normal by expressing a given expression as a product of commutators. The definition of the commutator subgroup was also mentioned as the collection of all products of powers of commutators.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] group theory question

Homework Statement

Prove that the commutator subgroup is normal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let H be the subgroup generated by all of the commutators. We want to show that H is normal.
Let x be in yH. Then, [itex] y^{-1}x=aba^{-1}b^{-1}[/itex] for some a,b in G.
So, [itex] xy^{-1}=xaba^{-1}b^{-1} x^{-1} [/itex]
I am not seeing how to transform that into a commutator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try interpolating some [itex]xx^{-1}[/itex]'s or [itex]x^{-1}x[/itex]'s in the multiplication.

I actually made a mistake in the original post. I need to express [itex]xaba^{-1}b^{-1} x^{-1}[/itex] as a product of powers of commutators. I BELIEVE THAT IT IS NOT IN GENERAL POSSIBLE TO EXPRESS THAT AS A SINGLE COMMUTATOR.
What you need to do is this:

[tex] xaba^{-1}b^{-1} x^{-1} = xaba^{-1}(x^{-1}b^{-1}bx) b^{-1} x^{-1} = (xa)b(xa)^{-1}b^{-1}(bxb^{-1}x^{-1}) [/tex]

That looks right but I wonder why the problem said the product of POWERS of commutators?

Since you've shown that it's expressible as a product of commutators, you have shown that it's in the group generated by the commutators, and hence that group is normal. Well done.

Mathdope said:
That looks right but I wonder why the problem said the product of POWERS of commutators?

The problem did not say that. The problem only said show that the commutator subgroup is normal.

The definition of the commutator subgroup, however, is the collection of all products of powers of commutators.

I thought that the product of 2 commutators was a commutator itself. Of course, I haven't actually bothered to verify that, so I could be completely wrong.

ehrenfest said:
I actually made a mistake in the original post. I need to express [itex]xaba^{-1}b^{-1} x^{-1}[/itex] as a product of powers of commutators.

ehrenfest said:
The problem did not say that. The problem only said show that the commutator subgroup is normal.

The definition of the commutator subgroup, however, is the collection of all products of powers of commutators.
Got it. So you've shown that it's in the group generated by the commutators, but the top statement is where you mentioned powers. Obviously, from your answer, you got it without using powers.

1. What is the Commutator Subgroup in Group Theory?

The Commutator Subgroup, also known as the Derived Subgroup, is a subgroup of a group that is generated by all the commutators of the elements in the original group. In other words, it contains all the elements that can be expressed as the product of two elements and their inverses in the group.

2. Why is proving normality important in Group Theory?

Proving that the Commutator Subgroup is a normal subgroup is important because it allows us to use certain properties and theorems that are only applicable to normal subgroups, making it easier to study and understand the group.

3. How is normality of the Commutator Subgroup proven?

The normality of the Commutator Subgroup is proven by showing that for any element in the group, the conjugate of the element by any other element in the group is also in the Commutator Subgroup.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove normality of the Commutator Subgroup?

Some common techniques used to prove normality of the Commutator Subgroup include using the definition of normality, using the commutator identity, and using the quotient group.

5. Can the normality of the Commutator Subgroup be proven for any group?

No, the normality of the Commutator Subgroup can only be proven for certain groups, such as abelian groups, nilpotent groups, and solvable groups. For other groups, it may not hold true and may need to be proven differently.