Non-Linear Control System and Motor synchronization

In summary, The conversation discusses the design of a system for synchronizing two propeller motors using a non-linear equation. The individual is seeking help on how to linearize the system in order to use general linear control system theory. A suggestion is made to break the problem into two linear models, but the individual does not understand how to do so. Another person suggests using the Jacobian method for linearization and evaluating at a specific operating point.
dt2611
Hello,
I am currently trying to design a system that will sychronize two propellor motors, and I must design using the following equation:
w'*I + (w^2*r^2*p*S*C_d)/(2) = T_t + T_ss
w' = Angular acceleration
I = moment of inertia
w = angular velocity
r = radius of blade
p = air density
S =Surface Area
C_d = Drag coeeficient
T_t = transient torque
T_ss = Steady state torque

The problem is this is a non-linear system, and I do not know how to 'linearize' the system to use general linear control system theory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
this is just a shot in the dark, but can you break the problem up into 2 linear models? Will that help at all?

what do you mean by two linear models?

sorry, probably worded that wrong.

Is there anyway to break the problem up into pieces? Other than that, I don't have much to offer, sorry.

For linearization, follow the procedure in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian

and evaluate at the operating point that you want. It will clear out the nonlinear terms in the Jacobian and give you a linear system at that point in the form of [tex]\dot{x} = Ax + Bu[/tex]

1. What is a non-linear control system?

A non-linear control system is a type of control system that does not follow a linear relationship between input and output. This means that the output response is not directly proportional to the input signal, and instead, the relationship between the two is complex and may involve non-linear functions.

2. How does a non-linear control system differ from a linear control system?

A linear control system follows a linear relationship between input and output, which means that the output response is directly proportional to the input signal. In contrast, a non-linear control system involves complex relationships between input and output, making it more challenging to analyze and control.

3. What is motor synchronization in a control system?

Motor synchronization is the process of coordinating the speed and position of multiple motors in a control system. This is important in applications where multiple motors need to work together to achieve a desired outcome.

4. How can motor synchronization be achieved in a control system?

Motor synchronization can be achieved by using feedback control techniques, such as PID control, to adjust the speed and position of each motor based on the desired output. This allows the motors to work together in a coordinated and synchronized manner.

5. What are some common challenges in non-linear control systems and motor synchronization?

Some common challenges in non-linear control systems and motor synchronization include dealing with complex relationships between input and output, modeling and predicting system behavior, and ensuring stability and robustness in the control system. Additionally, physical limitations of the motors, such as torque and speed, may also pose challenges in achieving optimal synchronization.