Can Bessel Functions Solve Cell Biology Mysteries?

In summary: My task is to find the surface area that produces the maximum stress.In summary, I'm confused about differentiating an improper integral. Consider the functionF(r)=\int_0^\infty J_0(rx)\,dx=\frac{1}{r}\int_0^\infty J_0(m)\,dm=\frac{1}{r}where I've solved the integral by making the substitution m=rx (I think this is OK). Now I would like to find \frac{\partial F}{\partial r}. From the solution I know that this is -\frac{1}{r^2}, but I would like to do it another
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm confused about differentiating an improper integral. Consider the function

[tex]F(r)=\int_0^\infty J_0(rx)\,dx=\frac{1}{r}\int_0^\infty J_0(m)\,dm=\frac{1}{r}[/tex]

where I've solved the integral by making the substitution [itex]m=rx[/itex] (I think this is OK). Now I would like to find [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial r}[/itex]. From the solution I know that this is [itex]-\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex], but I would like to do it another way, by differentiating inside the integral. I thought it was allowable to write

[tex]\frac{\partial F(r)}{\partial r}=\int_0^\infty \frac{\partial}{\partial r}J_0(rx)\,dx=\int_0^\infty -x\,J_1(rx)\,dx[/tex]

but this integral doesn't converge. Where have I gone wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mapes said:
I'm confused about differentiating an improper integral. Consider the function

[tex]F(r)=\int_0^\infty J_0(rx)\,dx=\frac{1}{r}\int_0^\infty J_0(m)\,dm=\frac{1}{r}[/tex]

where I've solved the integral by making the substitution [itex]m=rx[/itex] (I think this is OK). Now I would like to find [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial r}[/itex]. From the solution I know that this is [itex]-\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex], but I would like to do it another way, by differentiating inside the integral. I thought it was allowable to write

[tex]\frac{\partial F(r)}{\partial r}=\int_0^\infty \frac{\partial}{\partial r}J_0(rx)\,dx=\int_0^\infty -x\,J_1(rx)\,dx[/tex]

but this integral doesn't converge. Where have I gone wrong? Thanks!

Are you sure it doesn’t converge? You should be able to switch the order of differentiation and integration provided that the limits of integration do not depend on the dependent variable of the derivative.

Mathematica says it doesn't converge. If all of my operations are valid, however, then it does converge and equals [itex]-\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. This would mean that

[tex]\int^\infty_0 m\,J_1(m)\,dm=1[/tex]

I'm wary about this equation, though. I haven't seen it in any tables of integrals.

Mapes said:
Mathematica says it doesn't converge. If all of my operations are valid, however, then it does converge and equals [itex]-\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. This would mean that

[tex]\int^\infty_0 m\,J_1(m)\,dm=1[/tex]

I'm wary about this equation, though. I haven't seen it in any tables of integrals.

I wonder if mathematic uses any convergence tests. I'm never 100% confident in answers produced by computer algebra systems. Perhaps consider re-asking the question on either the mathematica news group or the symbolic math newsgroup.

Improper integrals of Bessel functions are definitely a weak point of Mathematica. Only recently I encountered a very similar problem. (It was convergent after all.)

Do you have any additional parameters in your integrand which might cause mathematica's convergence tests to fail? If so, try setting them to some fixed value. (In my case, Assuming[] nd With[] was not enough.)

You can also use NIntegrate to check if it converges. It might produce a warnign that it is not, but as long as it gives a reasonable numerical answer it's a good indication that it converges:smile:

Thanks, very interesting. I also enjoyed the paper (found via the second link) on speaking math to a computer.

The Bessel functions satisy the recurrence relations

[tex]J_{n-1}+J_{n+1}=\frac{2\,n}{x}\,J_n\quad \text{and} \quad J_{n-1}-J_{n+1}=2\,J_n'[/tex]

Adding these, you get

[tex]x\,J_{n-1}=n\,J_n+x\,J_n'\overset{n=2}\Rightarrow x\,J_1=2\,J_2+x\,J_2'[/tex]

while integrating from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty x\,J_1\,d\,x=2\int_0^\infty J_2\,d\,x+\int_0^\infty x\,J_2'\,d\,x[/tex]

The first one equals 2 since [itex]\int_0^\infty J_2\,d\,x=1[/itex] and the second one can be evaluated by integrating by parts, i.e.

[tex]\int_0^\infty x\,J_2'\,d\,x=x\,J_2(x)\Big|_0^\infty-\int_0^\infty J_2\,d\,x=-1[/tex]

thus

[tex]\int_0^\infty x\,J_1(x)\,d\,x=1[/tex]

Very appreciated, thanks. Wow, now I can show that

[tex]\int_0^\infty x\,J_0(x)\,d\,x=0[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^\infty x\,J_2(x)\,d\,x=2[/tex]
etc.

Believe it or not, this is contributing to a journal article in cell biology that I'm working on. When tissue cells attach to a surface, they exert stress on the substrate that can be modeled with elasticity theory. Bessel functions arise naturally from assuming that the stress is applied over a circular area.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It involves calculating the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function.

2. What is the relationship between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations, meaning they "undo" each other. Differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, while integration finds the area under a function. These concepts are closely related and can be used together to solve various problems in mathematics and science.

3. How do you differentiate an integral?

To differentiate an integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function, with the variable of integration as the upper limit. You can also use differentiation rules, such as the power rule, product rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the integral.

4. What is the purpose of differentiating an integral?

Differentiating an integral allows us to find the rate of change of a function, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of a system or function. It can also be used to solve optimization problems, find critical points, and analyze the behavior of functions over a specific interval.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiating an integral?

Differentiating an integral is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and displacement of objects in motion, model population growth, analyze market trends, and understand the behavior of chemical reactions.