Magnetic Flux Through a Coil

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a long straight wire and a circular loop carrying currents. The question at hand is to find the magnetic flux through a circular coil with four turns and a 2 cm diameter, placed at the center of the loop. The equations used include the formula for magnetic flux and the formula for magnetic field on the axis of a circular loop. The attempt at a solution includes finding the magnetic flux of the loop and then using that to determine the flux of the coil. However, the correct approach would be to find the total magnetic field at the center of the loop, taking into account the field due to the straight wire, and then finding the flux.
ttiger2k7

Homework Statement

A long straight wire on the z-axis carries a current of 3.0 A in the positive direction. A circular loop in the xy-plane, of radius 10 cm, carries a 5.0-A current, as shown. Point P, at the center of the loop, is 25 cm from the z-axis.

28.6a.jpg

A circular coil of four turns, 2 cm in diameter, is placed in the xy-plane with its center at P. The magnetic flux through the coil is closest to:

a)4.9 x 10-9 Wb
b)9.9 x 10-9 Wb
c)4.0 x 10-9 Wb
d)1.5 x 10-9 Wb
e)2.0 x 10-9 Wb

Homework Equations

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}Ia^2}{2(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex] (on the axis of a circular loop)[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}NI}{2a}[/tex] (at the center of N circular loops)[tex]\Phi=\int[/tex]B*dA (magnetic flux)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried finding the magnetic flux of the loop first in the image given. First I needed the field of the loop:

Using the first formula, I used I = 5 A, x = .25 m, a = .01 m. My final answer resulted in : 2.01E-8 T

Then, I used the formula for magnetic flux, using 2.01E-8 T for B, and the area of this circle.

Area of circle: [tex]2\pi*r^2[/tex], where r will be .01
[tex]2\pi*.01^2[/tex] = 6.28E-4

so

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = 2.01E-8 * 6.28 E-4 = 1.26 E -11

I figure that somehow, I needed the magnetic flux of the loop to figure out what the flux of the coil would be. Am I even approaching this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
ttiger2k7 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried finding the magnetic flux of the loop first in the image given. First I needed the field of the loop:

Using the first formula, I used I = 5 A, x = .25 m, a = .01 m. My final answer resulted in : 2.01E-8 T

You should put x=radius of the loop, a=0. Do you know what x and a represent? Consult your notes or book.

Where is the field due to the straight wire? You have to include that too.

After finding the total B at the centre, think about finding the flux.

Your approach is correct. To find the magnetic flux through the coil, you first need to find the magnetic field at the center of the coil, which you have done correctly. Then, you can use the formula for magnetic flux, \Phi = \int B*dA, to find the flux through the coil.

In this case, the coil is made up of four turns, so you will need to multiply the magnetic field at the center of the coil by 4 to account for the four turns. Then, you can use the area of the coil, which is \pi*r^2, where r is the radius of the coil (0.01 m). This will give you the total magnetic flux through the coil.

So, the correct answer would be 4 * (2.01E-8 T) * (pi * 0.01^2) = 2.01E-10 Wb, which is closest to option d) 1.5 x 10^-9 Wb.

1. What is magnetic flux through a coil?

Magnetic flux through a coil is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a coil of wire.

2. How is magnetic flux through a coil calculated?

Magnetic flux through a coil is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the coil that is perpendicular to the field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux through a coil?

The magnetic flux through a coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the angle between the coil and the field.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a coil?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a coil is the Weber (Wb).

5. How is magnetic flux through a coil used in applications?

Magnetic flux through a coil is used in applications such as electric motors, generators, and transformers to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.