RC Circuit - Currents at Timed Intervals

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an uncharged capacitor, a 4.50-M Ohms resistor, and a 24.0-V battery. The switch is closed at t=0 and a current of Ii appears. The question asks how long it will take for the current to drop to 0.37 Ii. The relevant equations are V=IR and I(t)=V/R*e^(-t/RC). The time constant is calculated to be 5.175 s. The attempt at a solution involves plugging in the values into the current equation but gets stuck when trying to solve for time. The issue lies in misunderstanding the notation of I(t) and trying to use ln to cancel out the exponential
purduegirl

Homework Statement

An uncharged 1.15 uF capacitor is in series, through a switch, with a 4.50-M Ohms resistor and a 24.0- V battery (with negligible internal resistance.) The switch is closed at t = 0 and a current of Ii immediately appears. (Which I calculated to be 5.33 uA.) How long will it take for the current in the circuit to drop to 0.37 Ii?

Homework Equations

V = Voltage of Battery - I*r (This will not apply here because r is negligible)
V = IR
I(t) = Voltage of Battery/Resistivity*exp^(-t/time constant)
Time constant = RC
4.50 MOhms = 4.50E6 Ohms
1.15 uF = 1.15E-6 F

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the time constant and got 5.175 s. I plugged in the information above into the current based on time equation, but couldn't solve for time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how far you got? What part were you stuck on?

I can try.

(.37 A)(t) = 24.0V/ (4.50E6 Ohms)*exp^(-t/5.175 s)
.37 A(t) = 5.33E-6 V/Ohms*exp^(-t/5.175 s)

Here's where I have trouble. I know by using ln I could cancel out the exp. However, by having to apply it to both sides, I would get ln(.37 A)(t).

I(t) does not mean I times t; I(t) means "the value of I when time = t". (It also indicates what I depends on.)

So I(2) is I when t=2.

So the t should not be on the left hand side.

However, they don't say that the current is 0.37; they say the current is 0.37 Ii (that is, 37 percent of the initial current). Can you see that you did not have to calculate the initial current?

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is used to control the flow of electricity and can be found in various electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the resistor and capacitor are connected in series or parallel. When an electric current is applied, the capacitor stores electrical charge, while the resistor restricts the flow of electrons. This creates a time delay in the circuit, which can be used to control the timing of events.

What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage or to discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values in the circuit, τ = RC.

How does the current change in an RC circuit over time?

At the beginning, when the capacitor is uncharged, the current in an RC circuit is at its maximum. As the capacitor charges or discharges, the current decreases exponentially until it reaches a steady-state value, where the current is constant and there is no further change in the charge on the capacitor.

What is the significance of currents at timed intervals in an RC circuit?

The currents at timed intervals in an RC circuit can be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit and predict the timing of events. They can also be used to calculate the charge and voltage across the capacitor at different times. This is useful in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.