Help Deriving formula for moment of inertia lab

In summary, the conversation is about a lab that involves deriving a formula using the variables b (radius), g (gravity), and al (angular acceleration). The formula is I=mgb/al - mb^2. The individual asking for help initially came up with a different solution, but eventually realized that they needed to substitute a=al*R to get the correct answer.
HT3
this lab is very similar to mine
basically i can only seem to derive a portion of the formula, I=mgb/al - mb^2
where b- radius, g-gravity, al- angular acceleration.
I do not get the right answer:
here is what i did do however,
Fnet=ma
T-mg=-ma (acceleration is downwards)
so T=(mg-ma)
so then

Tnet=I*al (where al is angular acceleration not acceleration)

so then
T*b=I*al
(b*mg-b*ma)/al = I

as u can see this is not the correct solution..but is a start
the solution i need to get to is
I=mgb/al - mb^2
can someone help me out - thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NEVERMIND I SOLVED IT i was on the right way i just realized that a=al*R and if i plug that in my answer is correct.
thanks to any1 who viewed it anyways

Hello,

I understand your frustration with not being able to fully derive the formula for moment of inertia. It can be a complex concept to understand and derive, especially in a lab setting. However, I would suggest going back to the basic definition of moment of inertia, which is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion.

In this case, the moment of inertia is affected by the mass and the distribution of that mass around the axis of rotation. In your derivation, you have correctly identified the force equation (Fnet=ma) and the torque equation (T=I*al). However, you have not taken into account the distribution of mass in the object.

To fully derive the formula, you will need to use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about a given axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

In your case, the parallel axis theorem would be applied as follows:

I = Icm + mb^2

Where I is the moment of inertia, Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and b is the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass.

By using this equation and substituting it into your torque equation, you should be able to derive the correct formula for moment of inertia:

T = I*al
T = (Icm + mb^2)*al
T = Icm*al + mb^2*al
T = mgb + mb^2*al

Then, rearranging for the moment of inertia:

I = mgb/al - mb^2

I hope this helps to clarify the derivation process for you. If you still have trouble, I suggest seeking assistance from your lab instructor or a fellow classmate. Keep in mind that understanding and deriving formulas is an important part of the scientific process, so don't get discouraged. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed. Good luck with your lab!

1. What is the purpose of the moment of inertia lab?

The purpose of the moment of inertia lab is to determine the moment of inertia of a rigid body with respect to a certain axis. This is an important property in physics and engineering, as it describes the tendency of an object to resist rotational motion.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated in this lab?

In this lab, the moment of inertia is calculated by measuring the angular acceleration of the object and using the equation I = mr²α, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. What equipment is needed for this lab?

The equipment needed for this lab includes a rigid body, a rotational motion sensor, a meter stick, a stopwatch, and a computer with data analysis software. The specific materials may vary depending on the experiment and the object being tested.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia calculation, such as the accuracy of the measurements taken, the precision of the equipment used, and any external forces acting on the object during the experiment. It is important to minimize these factors to obtain more accurate results.

5. How can the moment of inertia be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering, and it has many real-world applications. It is used in designing structures and machines, such as bridges and vehicles, to ensure stability and efficiency. It is also used in analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, in astronomy and astrophysics.