Any good books on designing test equipment?

In summary: I can't really recommend anything more specific since you don't mention what you're looking to measure.In summary, Sean is looking for a low noise amplifier that can measure low currents. He found some good hits on google, but is interested in hearing back from someone who has found better resources.
seang
Hi, I am trying to design a few low power (I ~ nanoamps, V ~ volts) test devices. I can't seem to find books on test equipment design anyplace. Anyone got a favorite text or anything?

Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Art of Electronics"?
I am not sure what you mean by "test equipment"? Low noise electronics?

The AoE has some basic info about low-noise and high-Z amps, but not much.
It does cover the basics of FET amps, bootstrapping, etc., so it's not a bad place to start, but you'll need a bit more to design practical test devices.

Is this for medical-type test equipment? If so, there are additional considerations for safety. See UL544:

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=0544.html [Broken]

Can you say what kind of equipment you want to design? Is this for personal use, or will it be a product that you will qualify for sale to the public?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not for medical use; it's somewhere between personal use and a school project (college).

I have AoE, but as you said...there's not a lot of stuff in there that's specific to my needs. Is there really not a definitive test equipment text (oscilloscopes, meters, etc.)? I almost find that hard to believe.

Again, I'm trying to design a system to detect and measure low currents (in the nanoamp range). I'd rather not accept too much outside help, so pointing me towards resources rather than telling me how to do it would be nice.

Thanks alot.

seang said:
Again, I'm trying to design a system to detect and measure low currents (in the nanoamp range). I'd rather not accept too much outside help, so pointing me towards resources rather than telling me how to do it would be nice.

I googled "low noise" "high impedance" amplifier, and got some good hits. Many are application notes from the big analog IC manufacturers, which should be very practical in their treatment of the design of these circuits. Here's the hit list as a starting point:

http://www.google.com/search?source...h+impedance"+amplifier&btnG=Search&nochrome=1

I'd be interested in hearing back if you found some especially good app notes in the list.

seang said:

Thanks alot.

I think what you might be looking for is a simple electrometer. Integrator with a good opamp, an ok cap, a voltage meter and a triggering source should do the trick.

1. What are some good books to learn about designing test equipment?

Some good books for designing test equipment include "Test Equipment Design: A Guide to Automated Test Equipment," by Robert A. Witte and Mark F. Henricksen and "Designing Test Instruments," by Roy A. Nercessian.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on designing test equipment for electronic devices?

Yes, there are books specifically focused on designing test equipment for electronic devices, such as "Designing Test Equipment for the Digital Age," by Michael J. E. Inggs and "Electronic Test Equipment: Theory and Application," by Philip Lawson.

3. Do these books cover both analog and digital test equipment design?

Yes, the books mentioned cover both analog and digital test equipment design, as well as the integration between the two.

4. Are there any newer books that cover the latest advancements in test equipment design?

Yes, there are newer books that cover the latest advancements in test equipment design, such as "Modern Test Equipment Design," by Mordechay Rubin and "Designing Low-Cost, High-Speed Test Equipment," by Frederick W. Karten.

5. Can these books be used for self-study or are they more suitable for classroom use?

These books are suitable for both self-study and classroom use. They provide comprehensive information and practical examples for individuals to learn on their own or as part of a formal education program.