QM binding energy and reflection coefficient

In summary, we discussed a potential given by V(x) = infinity for x < 0, 0 for x > a, and a negative function of x in between. It is known that the interior wave function satisfies (1/u)(du/dx) at x=a = f(E). We then looked at the binding energy of a bound state in terms of f(Eb) and how to calculate the reflected amplitude R(k) in terms of f(E) if the wave function for x > a is e-ikx + Reikx. We also discussed the importance of f(E) being a constant and how to approach solving these problems.
Felicity

Homework Statement

consider a potential given by

V(x) = infinity x < 0
= 0 x > a
= a negative function of x in between

suppose it is known that the interior wave function is such that

(1/u) (du/dx) at x=a = f(E)

a. what is the binding energy of a bound state in terms of f(Eb)?

b. Suppose f(E) is a very slowly varying function of E so that we can take it to be a constant. Calculate the reflected amplitude R(k) in terms of f if the wave function for x > a has the form
e-ikx + Reikx, and check that

(the absolute value of R(k))2 = 1

2. Relavant equations

k2= 2mE/hbar2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. to find the binding energy I calculated f(E) by taking u at x > a to be Teikx so that
1/u du/dx = ik

I know that the bound states are discrete solutions where E < 0 and that in order to find them I must match the u at x > a to u in the well at x = a but how do I do this if I don't know the equation for u in the well?

b. How can the wave function at x > a be e-ikx + Reikx?

why is it important that f(E) be a constant?

where do I start?

Thank you,

Felicity

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Felicity,

Thank you for your interesting questions. I will do my best to provide some guidance and assistance in solving them.

a. To find the binding energy, we can use the fact that the wave function must be continuous at x=a. This means that the value of u at x=a for x > a must match the value of u for x < a. We can use this to determine the value of f(E) at x=a. Once we have f(E) at x=a, we can use the fact that the potential is zero for x > a to solve for the binding energy in terms of f(E).

b. The wave function at x > a can be written as e-ikx + Reikx because it satisfies the boundary conditions for a potential well. The first term represents the incident wave, while the second term represents the reflected wave. It is important for f(E) to be a constant because it allows us to simplify the calculation of the reflected amplitude R(k). We can use the fact that f(E) is slowly varying to approximate it as a constant, making the calculation easier.

To start, you can use the boundary conditions and the fact that the potential is zero for x > a to determine the value of f(E) at x=a. Then, you can use this value to solve for the binding energy in terms of f(E). For part b, you can use the fact that f(E) is a constant to simplify the calculation of R(k) and then check that |R(k)|^2 = 1. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations! (The Scientist)

1. What is QM binding energy?

Quantum mechanical (QM) binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold together the constituents of an atom or molecule. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, and it is crucial for understanding the stability and behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How is QM binding energy calculated?

QM binding energy is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The binding energy is a result of the interactions between the particles within the system, and it is typically expressed in units of electron volts (eV).

3. What does the reflection coefficient in QM represent?

The reflection coefficient in QM represents the probability that a particle will be reflected from a potential barrier. It is a measure of the strength of the barrier and the energy of the particle. A higher reflection coefficient means that the particle is more likely to be reflected, while a lower coefficient indicates a higher chance of transmission through the barrier.

4. How does QM binding energy affect the stability of atoms?

QM binding energy is a key factor in determining the stability of atoms. The higher the binding energy, the more tightly bound the nucleus is to its electrons, making the atom more stable. Atoms with lower binding energies are more likely to undergo nuclear reactions and decay.

5. Can QM binding energy be observed experimentally?

Yes, QM binding energy can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as X-ray spectroscopy, electron spectroscopy, and nuclear reactions. These experiments can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of matter at the quantum level.