The transfer function of a delayed system x(t-T)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function of a given equation using Laplace transforms. After some rearranging and clarification of the left and right-hand sides of the equation, it is determined that the transfer function is G(s) = e^{-sT}/(s^2 + 6s +45).
killahammad
Hi, I am not looking for the answer, i just want to know how i go about solving it

Ive got to find the transfer function of this equation:
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8149/laplaceeq8.jpg

I know that the transfer function G(s) is found by:

y(s)=G(s)x(s)

As hard as i try i cannot seem to get x(s) through my workings.

From Laplace i have found the LHS = y(s^2+6s+45) and the RHS to be: e^-sT (not sure about the RHS)

so rearranging i can get y(s) = 1/(s^2 +6s +45) * e^-sT

but i don't know quite what do do here. I've tried inverse laplace to turn it into a heaviside function, but it didn't seem to help. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
killahammad said:
From Laplace i have found the LHS = y(s^2+6s+45) and the RHS to be: e^-sT (not sure about the RHS)

That should be LHS [itex]= Y(s)(s^2+6s+45)[/itex] and RHS [itex]= X(s)e^{-sT} [/itex].

Ok thx, so it would be [itex] Y(s) = e^{-sT}/(s^2 + 6s +45)X(s) [/itex]
In the form Y(s) = G(s)X(s)

So would the transfer function be:
[itex] G(s) = e^{-sT}/(s^2 + 6s +45) [/itex] ?

can anyone tell me if this is the right answer? thank you

[itex]G(s) = e^{-sT}/(s^2 + 6s +45)[/itex]

1. What is a transfer function of a delayed system?

The transfer function of a delayed system is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system that experiences a time delay. It describes how the output of the system is affected by the input signal after a certain time delay.

2. How is the transfer function of a delayed system different from a regular transfer function?

The main difference between a transfer function of a delayed system and a regular transfer function is the presence of a time delay in the former. This delay can significantly affect the behavior and stability of the system, making it more complex to analyze compared to a regular transfer function.

3. What factors can cause a time delay in a system?

There are various factors that can contribute to a time delay in a system, such as signal propagation time, processing time, and physical distance between components. Other factors include the inherent response time of components, communication delays, and feedback loops in the system.

4. How can the transfer function of a delayed system be used in real-world applications?

The transfer function of a delayed system is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and communication systems. It helps engineers and scientists design and analyze systems with time delays to ensure stability and optimal performance.

5. Can the transfer function of a delayed system be simplified or approximated?

In some cases, the transfer function of a delayed system can be simplified or approximated to make it easier to analyze and design. However, this may result in some inaccuracies and may not be suitable for all applications. It is important to carefully consider the complexity and accuracy trade-off when simplifying or approximating the transfer function of a delayed system.