What is the Difference between Electrical Engineering and Electrical techonology

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between an electrical engineering (EE) degree and an electronics engineering technology (EET) degree. The main differences are the amount of math and theory included in the curriculum, with EE focusing more on theory and fundamentals while EET focuses on application and specification. However, both degrees are seen as interchangeable in the industry, with experience and competence being more important than the degree itself. Both degrees involve problem-solving using scientific knowledge, with EE focusing more on advanced topics such as control theory and classical signals and systems theory. The main difference between the two is that EE is seen as a more prestigious and pure engineering degree, while EET is sometimes viewed as a technician degree.
th3plan
What is the is the difference between those two? I know what electrical engineers do , but what about electrical technology. Can someone list some key differences, and how much different is the salarys between these two.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my eyes the two are fairly interchangeable. What are you looking at that makes you feel they are two distinct disciplines?

I graduated with an EET degree (electronics engineering technology) just last June. It seems to me that there are some subtle differences when i compare my education to people around me with an EE degree but not anything big enough to make a huge difference. I think i ended up taking more digital classes but that was partially my own choice.

The best advice i can give is to talk to the department at the schools you are interested in (it seems to me this is the point you are at) and find what they have to offer. If you have an interest in a certain area, (DSP, Optics, etc) find out how many classes they offer in that area. Chose the school that you like and go from there. Don't worry too much about the title, it tends to wash out in the end.

Since I've made my way into industry I've noticed that the degree matters much less (EE vs EET that is) than your experience and competence.

In Canada, it's two years at trade school (EET) vs. a full-out four year degree at University (EE), along with way more math and "teaching you how to learn". Practically, more theory, fundamentals and engineering vs. more application and specification.

Basically Engineering and Technology are different, they are not same.

Engineering stands for application of scientific knowledge to solve real world problems. For example you are doing engineering when you apply Faraday's law of electromagnetism in building an electric motor.

Technology deals with the the way or technique we use to solve a problem. For example we can transmit electric power in AC or DC. They are two different techniques. DC transmission is advantageous for long distance power transmission.

Hope you understood the difference between the two.

A two year technology degree will not include any higher mathematics (starting with differential calculus). This precludes solving a wide array of engineering problems.

A four year engineering technology degree will include calculus but I'm not sure how many semesters. I'm pretty sure there is no vector calculus included in the curriculum and no differential equations but I'm not positive on these. Also I believe the advanced systems type subjects are not offered such as control theory and classical signals and systems theory. Maybe Lambduh can inform here whether I have it right. Knowledge of calculus opens up more engineering problems for the EET but many advanced problems require diff eq. And electromagnetics and rf require vector calculus knowledge.

Based on the above you can see some areas that are required for a BSEE . I was required to take 3 hours of analytic geometry, 12 semester hours of calculus, 3 hours of diff eq and 3 hours of vector calculus. Some programs require 3 semester hours of complex variables, which I learned online a few years ago. And many programs require a 3 hour upper division statistics course as prerequisite for the communications block which, if taught at the EET level is probably much different.

The difference is basically a Technician vs. an Engineer.

There are two degrees you can get in EET (at least where I went to school - DeVry) an A.A.S or B.S. I graduated with a B.S. in EET.
I took 2 calculus courses (Calc 2 was a combined course of calc & differential equations). I took two control systems courses using calculus & communications systems courses ( along with all of the other digital & analog system design courses)!
The biggest difference I have noticed so far in my career has NOT been theoretical knowledge or understanding of electronic principles and/or theory its been degree designation. A B.S. in EET is not seen to be as pure as an EE degree. That has been the only difference I have seen! This is not much of an issue or problem if you don't mind always having to prove your knowledge! Most EE's are just accepted as pure engineers where as EET majors (not A.A.S EET majors but B.S.EET majors) are always having to prove their understanding of engineering principles and concepts. Because of this some recruiters may tend to look over or past a B.S.EET graduate rather than a EE graduate (I don't know how true this is just speculation based on hear say)
Bottom line is this: An EET degree is (at least in my opinion) a true Engineering degree but because of perception it is not always treated as one. I'm sure there are some differences between course work with an EE degree vs EET degree but not enough to designate it as being less of a degree (I've been told by an associate there's about a 4 maybe 5 course difference between the two). Which ultimately breaksdown to 1 semester's worth of classes! The associate I'm referring to has his masters in engineering!

1. What is the main focus of Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and components such as generators, motors, and circuits.

2. How is Electrical Engineering different from Electrical Technology?

While Electrical Engineering focuses on the theory and principles behind electrical systems, Electrical Technology is more practical and hands-on. Electrical Technology primarily deals with the installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems.

3. Can an Electrical Engineer work in the field of Electrical Technology?

Yes, an Electrical Engineer can work in the field of Electrical Technology. However, they may need additional training and experience to work with hands-on tasks and equipment.

4. What kind of job roles are available for Electrical Engineers and Electrical Technologists?

Electrical Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including power generation, telecommunications, and electronics. They can hold positions such as design engineer, project manager, or research scientist. Electrical Technologists, on the other hand, can work in fields such as construction, manufacturing, and maintenance, and may have job titles like technician, installer, or maintenance engineer.

5. Is there a significant difference in the education and training required for Electrical Engineering and Electrical Technology?

Yes, there is a difference in the education and training required for these two fields. Electrical Engineers typically need a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, which includes theoretical and practical coursework. Electrical Technologists, on the other hand, may only need a two-year associate degree or vocational training to enter the field.