What is the Hierarchy Problem & How Can it be Solved?

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
In summary, the Hierarchy problem refers to the discrepancy between the large Planck mass and the smaller electroweak/Higgs mass. This issue can be resolved by either warped compactifications or supersymmetry. Supersymmetry, in particular, cancels out the quadratic divergences in QFT calculations that lead to the Hierarchy problem. A good introduction to this topic can be found in Aitchison's book on supersymmetry.
jdstokes
Hi,

In my research I've heard of the Hierarchy problem expressed under at least two different guises:

1) Hugeness of the Planck mass compared to the electroweak/Higgs mass, resolved by e.g., warped compactifications.

2) Some kind of fine-tuning of the electroweak scale to magically offset quantum corrections, resolved by e.g., supersymmetry.

I'm clear aobut the first issue but very vague about the second. Can anyone suggest any references to help me understand what the actual problem is, and how approaches such as supersymmetry can resolve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
On a related note. I would also like to know how many accepted Hierarchies are known to exist in the Standard Model, and which if any, are related. Off the top of my head I can think of the following (unrelated?) hierarchies

- Planck/Higgs mass hierarchy.
- Gauge coupling hierarchy between the electroweak and strong sectors.
- If one thinks of gravity as a gauge theory, is there also a hierarchy between the gravitational coupling constant and the SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) gauge couplings?
- Fermion mass hierarchies, e.g., between up and top quarks, electron and electron neutrino.

Any others?

jdstokes said:
Hi,

In my research I've heard of the Hierarchy problem expressed under at least two different guises:

1) Hugeness of the Planck mass compared to the electroweak/Higgs mass, resolved by e.g., warped compactifications.

2) Some kind of fine-tuning of the electroweak scale to magically offset quantum corrections, resolved by e.g., supersymmetry.

I'm clear aobut the first issue but very vague about the second. Can anyone suggest any references to help me understand what the actual problem is, and how approaches such as supersymmetry can resolve it?

The connection is this. If we compute the one-loop correction to a scalar particle like the Higgs, we find a quadratic divergence (as opposed to the usual logarithmic divergences.). This means that to get a "low" mass (relative to the Planck mass which is, presumably, the natural scale for the cutoff) one needs a fine tuning to an extraordinary precision. Logarithmic divergences do not require such a high level of fine tuning since a log grows so slowly.

Supersymmetry takes care of this because the quadratic divergences introduced by the scalar loops are canceled by the quadratic divergences produced by fermion loops. There rae no quadratic divergences at all in SUSY theories. In fact, almost all SUSY calculations are finite. There is only one class of logarithmically divergent graphs that are present and these can all be taken care of by a wavefunction renormalization.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the explanation. That helps a lot.

Unfortunately I haven't done QFT calculations above tree level. So I'm quite ignorant about ultra-violet divergences. What would you say is a good introduction to the topic, preferably with mention of the Hierarchy problem?

jdstokes said:
Thanks for the explanation. That helps a lot.

Unfortunately I haven't done QFT calculations above tree level. So I'm quite ignorant about ultra-violet divergences. What would you say is a good introduction to the topic, preferably with mention of the Hierarchy problem?
You are welcome!

The most pedagogical example showing explicit cancellations of quadratic divergences in SUSY can be found in Aitchison's book on supersymmetry, pages 77-87. The calculation is done in such detail that everything will be clear even if you haven't done loops before. He discusses the hierarchy problem in the first chapter and at other points in the book. This is an excellent book to learn about susy, by the way.

What is the Hierarchy Problem?

The Hierarchy Problem is a question in theoretical physics that asks why the gravitational force is so much weaker than the other fundamental forces of nature. It is also known as the "Hierarchy Puzzle" or the "Naturalness Problem."

What are the fundamental forces of nature?

The fundamental forces of nature are the gravitational force, the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles in the universe.

How can the Hierarchy Problem be solved?

One proposed solution to the Hierarchy Problem is the theory of supersymmetry, which suggests that there is a partner particle for every known particle in the universe. This would cancel out the contributions of these particles to the Higgs mass and potentially explain the hierarchy between the forces.

What is the role of the Higgs boson in the Hierarchy Problem?

The Higgs boson is a particle that gives mass to other particles in the universe. Its discovery in 2012 was a major breakthrough in understanding the Hierarchy Problem, as it provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass.

Are there any other proposed solutions to the Hierarchy Problem?

Aside from supersymmetry, other proposed solutions to the Hierarchy Problem include extra dimensions, where gravity is diluted across multiple dimensions, and the anthropic principle, which suggests that the universe is fine-tuned for life to exist. However, these solutions are still being explored and debated in the scientific community.