Heat transfer into constant temp sink

In summary, the model is for a metal sheet with spots that act as heat sinks. The sheet will lose heat to the spots over time to reach a constant temperature of 100K.
iceriver500
I have a simplified model (see attached picture) which is part of a bigger model but for now the problem is as follows.
I have a electropolished metal sheet which has spots on it which act as heat sinks because they are kept at constant temperature of 100K. The sheet is at room temperature initially (300K) and will loose heat to the white spots to get to 100K over time. I need to come up with some equation which can describe how heat will flow by conduction through the sheet.
I know it's very easy in COMSOL, and in the COMSOL solution, the areas near the white spots will be blueish (indicating low temp) and away from the white spot will be reddish.
Basically, i need to come up with an equation that shows the Comsol's solution.

Attachments

• Sheet Problem.JPG
    Sheet Problem.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 435
Engineering news on Phys.org
Gosh, I know the equations for a 1-dimensional heat sink (like down the length of and object). But once you get into anything above 1-dimensional temperature variations, especially with multiple heat sink spots, the governing equations blow up on you and a lot of times go into the non-linear state (very bad for solving on paper). If this is for a project and you absolutely need to know the correct equations, then I would suggest changing the problem a bit by simplifying it. You could make a sink somewhere in the middle and have it be all along a vertical or horizontal line; that would make it a 1-dimensional problem if you were to look at it from on of the sides. I hope that this helps...though it's not what you were looking for.

here it is

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 432
Hey ang_gl ,
That equation might not work. It doesn't have the time component in it. I know the equation that will be used but am not sure how to implement it. It is the equation you wrote +having q"'/k on LHS equated with (1/alpha)(dT/dt) on the RHS, where q"' is the rate of internal energy conversion (heat generation)

Yea, the equation isn't complete. It applies for the case of steady state conduction with no heat generation. I didn't read carefully, "to get to 100K over time", so its an unsteady situation. Yes you are right about the term on right, but heat generation term is zero in the case described.

maybe after running the simulation you can use the line graph along the plate and export the data to matlab... then use curve fitting? I am not sure if you would be able to export the points on the graph tho.

What is heat transfer into a constant temperature sink?

Heat transfer into a constant temperature sink refers to the process of transferring thermal energy from a hotter object to a colder object through a medium, such as air or water, that is maintained at a constant temperature. This allows for the efficient transfer of heat without causing a change in the temperature of the sink.

How does heat transfer into a constant temperature sink occur?

Heat transfer into a constant temperature sink occurs through a process known as conduction, where thermal energy is transferred from one object to another through direct contact. In the case of a constant temperature sink, the medium surrounding the sink acts as a conductor, allowing for the transfer of heat to occur without changing the temperature of the sink.

What factors affect heat transfer into a constant temperature sink?

The rate of heat transfer into a constant temperature sink is affected by a few factors, including the temperature difference between the hot object and the sink, the thermal conductivity of the medium, the surface area of contact between the objects, and the distance between them. These factors determine the amount of thermal energy that can be transferred and the speed at which it occurs.

What are some real-world applications of heat transfer into a constant temperature sink?

This process is commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, where a constant temperature sink, such as a coolant or refrigerant, is used to absorb heat from a space and maintain a colder temperature. It is also used in industrial processes, such as in heat exchangers, where a hot fluid is cooled by transferring heat to a constant temperature sink, such as water.

How is heat transfer into a constant temperature sink measured?

The rate of heat transfer into a constant temperature sink is typically measured in watts (W) or British thermal units per hour (BTU/h). This can be calculated by taking into account the temperature difference, thermal conductivity, surface area, and distance between the objects, as well as any other relevant factors. Other measurements, such as the heat transfer coefficient, may also be used in specific applications.