Race car suspension Class

In summary,-The stock car suspension is important for understanding the complexity of a Formula Cars suspension.-When designing a (front) suspension, geometry layout is critical.-spindle choice and dimensions, kingpin and steering inclination, wheel offset, frame height, car track width, camber change curve, static roll center height and location and roll axis location are major factors.-The first critical thing to do is to establish the roll center height and lateral location. The roll center is established by fixed points and angles of the A-arms. These pivot points and angles also establish the camber gain and bump steer.-I have used Suspension Analyzer for years on Super late Model stock cars as
  • #1,401
if you like this class ..VOTE
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/engineering-award.962196/

i also support this forum with a small donation...i urge you folks to kick in the price of a quart of 50W Valovine or the like..price of 6 pack of Pabst!

click on INFO at top of this page and hit DONATE

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
Something that's rolling around in my head
if you calculate and find the RC of both front and rear

How much split should there be between the 2 in height ?
How does this effect cornering ?

• #1,403
read post # 229 on page 12
mass centroid axis is shown on illustration 13

Likes Wild Willie
  • #1,404
Great read RangerMike!

• #1,405
Hey guys I'm from south Africa the 3 link is pretty new and those who have it doesn't Wana help me I'm building a dirt car with 3 link and need help with the length of the bottom trailing arms and the angles thanx

• #1,406
welcome Robby and Surdge
3rd link stuff on post 81,253,261 and 707 but check out index for rear end stuff too

Attachments

• Race car suspension class.xlsx
    11.5 KB · Views: 321
  • #1,407
Thanks u have been a lot of help just one more thing that I have that I can't seem to find is what angle do u use for the j bar

• #1,408
see index ..i wrote a lot on Jbar

• #1,409
Morning iv got a another question ur shock bracket witch angle do u mount it on

• #1,410
READ the posts ...do the research ,

Last edited:
  • #1,411
Excuse me if I break in here to join the conversation. I'm new here and will start by attempting to insert a drawing of a suspension linkage roll analysis
Exhibit 5.jpg

Robert

Attachments

• Exhibit 5.jpg
    Exhibit 5.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 681
  • #1,412
welcome, robert

• #1,413
Thank you for the welcome. Please excuse me a moment while I attempt to load a photo on this site.
Robert
DSCN1671.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1671.JPG
    DSCN1671.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 985
  • #1,414
a great reminder of what this class is all about

• #1,415
Great Video!
It didn't mention the front to rear roll problems and solutions by Maurice Olley, however I believe this came later.

• #1,416
Olley was absolutely instrumental having gone to GMC in 1930 from Cadillac, Rolls Royce before that. One unheralded but very genius people to make GM what WAS. not is..now. 2002 book Chassis Design by William and Douglas Milliken, published by the Society of Automotive Engineers goes into much of his work. Besides being key to Corvette development that Zora Duntov gets all the kudos for i think he had 40 some pattens attributed to him.

• #1,417
@Ranger Mike, in the world of circle track asphalt late model racing, which would make the handling better, the current quick change rear end or a independent suspension rear end?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,418
BEI welcome
the IRS vs solid rear suspension debate goes on..in my opinion for round track racing the solid quick change is the top dog. IRS tends to not preform as well as the dedicated solid axle setup on straight line basis. since you race on the front and rear straights a lot more than the time you spend in the corners, you want maximum traction. IRS promotes lost traction due to independent springing and the set up. plus you have no roll steer option if you need to dial in rear roll steer.
the extra cost and additional maintenance head aches do not merit doing it. IRS do not like front to rear weight transfer. IRS are great for road racing and cars with mid engine or rear engines. IRS not so good for nose heavy cars. You can dial in camber on each side with the solid axle set up. prop can on IRS but counter productive. you will be racing on a bumpy track so use the solid set up realizing the IRS will lose traction more when you go over bumps vs the solid set up

• #1,419
I put his together as racing tip to fine tune your chassis. after tow hours on you tube i could not find a decent video showing the tip about taping steering wheel but it is minus 10 F and end of winter so i share some videos and maybe put a smile on yer face!
When you are at the track hot lapping, try this to fine tune the car set up. Hot lap at mid speed and note the steering wheels degree of turn at mid track. The mid track is usually marked on the wall.

If not, pick a point and use this mid turn location on the wall for reference. You should have the 12 o’clock position marked already for easy of centering.

Note the 12 o’clock of the steering wheel when you are at the mid turn wall location. Use a piece of yellow or masking tape to mark it.

Next thing to do is hot lap the car at you best speed and again note the same mid turn location and the new mid turn steering wheel 12 o’clock position. Mark it with green tape.

If the steering wheel hot lap green tape mark is more than the slow speed yellow tape mark, the car is tight. If the hot lap green mark is less that the slow speed yellow tape, the car is loose. Adjust accordingly.

One of the better videos I found on this

good demonstration of counter steering

do not use this technique on these cars!

continued on next page

Likes Wild Willie
  • #1,420

tips for beginners driving on dirt

Not very good tutorial but good racing to watch in -10 degree F winter

what not to do on asphalt

Likes Wild Willie
  • #1,421
what not to do on dirt

Finally..this is what happens when you got too many rules and enforce them!

gotta watch if you need a laugh…

• #1,422
Ranger Mike,
WIth winter the time to learn, we all should have read through every thread here (I know I did) and I thank you for such great information.
For my self, we have been working on the geometry of my friend's late model stock car. (8 inch tires, Coilover suspension and limited HP) We plotted out the front end only to find the attached image. Of course, it horrified me based on the knowledge I gained here and other readings, and we are in the process of changing it all around to bring it more in line with what we feel will make it run better. What I'd like to understand is what characteristics the car would have theoretically experienced from last year when someone else set the car up. From my experience, this geometry looks so messed up I would think the car should slide across the race track because there is no vertical load on the RF tire.
Any insight or comments you could provide would be greatly appreciated. And as always, thanks for hosting this forum as it is invaluable in understanding car dynamics in a simple and easy manner.
upload_2019-3-3_16-29-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-3_16-29-1.png
    upload_2019-3-3_16-29-1.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
  • #1,423
Drobbie thanks fro the kind words.
you are correct. it would push going in and be loose off the corner. It is a good thing you caught this set up error. The closer you can get it to center line is good and ifin you can offset it to the right , the better it will handle. Make sure to check camber build. you want it going the right way on each side and keep the curve linear. Bump steer should be under 0.030" per inch bump. Put some rear roll oversteer in it if you can. Dont worry too much about the limited HP as the tires can not handle it anyway. So you want to dial in the car way better than the other guy! put a front to rear brake bias control o n the master cylinders and put in a front right to left brake fluid bias valve in so that you can crank in the left brake to snap roll thru the corner better. put on a ARB (sway bar) loader that you can crank in while hot lapping. this is good if you have long races and the fuel cell lightens the rear end . When budgeting , plan on the dampers ( shocks) being the most funded as this area will do more than any other in this over regulated race series. put a card board box in the race car hauler so the trophy don't get dinged up.

• #1,424
I have been successfully running a dirt stock car w the same rc numbers you found on your car Drobbie.
Not saying it’s right but w the right springs and shocks it can be very fast.

Different setups and driving styles take different things.

Ranger Mike helped me figure a lot of this car out via this forum.

• #1,425
Good job!
you are correct Dirtrace in that the driving technique means a lot on dirt. The dirt setup ( if i understand your setup) is to get a huge amount of body roll to slam the right front tire with lots of down force. You can get too much down force if you offset the RC to the right side. This is the same reason the asphalt big bar soft spring set up sometimes has left side offset. it is to kill off too much down force on right front tire. You got the front end tied down to very little roll with the BBSS set up and you rely on aero to push down on the right front in place of the chassis roll loading. The traditional right side offset is for cars that can not take advantage of the BBSS setup due to bumpy track and rules making the car sit up high due to ride height requirements. Figure on 3 inch roll max. Also the rules may mean that you can not use aero devices to increase down force. I have seen diagrams by many dirt racers that show the CG and Moment Center during cornering and no vector from the MC to the tire. It shows resultant force from the CG to the tire. Shows centrifugal force with a downward vector. Not correct.
We get down force on the right front tire many ways with many setups. Now you have the dirt super late model monsters roll steer with many inches wheel base change and way huge body roll. Back in the day we offset the dirt RC to 4 inch right side when we had very little body roll. Same with the BBSS setup. It evolves and you got to learn what works best. too much down force is as bad a too little. Balance it for the track you race.

• #1,426
Ranger mike-
Maybe you could explain a little on to why a car w rc to left of center seems to collapse on left front on breaking before entrance.

My thoughts are that the weight is trying to come off right front via roll center and is transferring into left front spring.

• #1,427
And yes, your right RM- big spring on left front, tie down on right front . Tall spring on left rear, High lead and freed up rear end w no binds.

Metric “stock car”

• #1,428
can you go int o more detail on collapse? i gott go to work but will read your reply asap..thanks

rm

• #1,429
So what I mean is that when I back off gas and start to trail brake the left front of car collapses. It highly loads left front spring . To the point that the nose has bottomed out on left side but not right.

The left front spring is 200 lbs bigger then right front.

I been trying to understand this.

I don’t want to change much cause the car is crazy fast. I been thinking about putting a very little amount of anti dive into it on left side to combat this

• #1,430
i would say your front suspension is too soft. Dampers (shocks) may need tweaked but ultimately if you pan cake you are too soft on spring rates. i think you are turning he car into ago kart suspension when hitting the droop limiters (bump stops). it has been run often in the past but i am not a fan

• #1,431
May I cut in for a question
If you were able to relocate rear RC left or right on the rear of a car
Reason I'm asking working on a mini stock with a young driver
We got the front roll setup
Now we are looking at the rear
We have the option to move the roll center left to right
Ranger Mike your thoughts

• #1,432
every race car is different on the handling deal. you have spec tires and restrictions for cost savings...in racing! ha...cost savings...
anyway, rear RC location can impact traction on those hard spec tires. You can in fact have rear RC offset. Panhard bar vs J bar especially. As with anything you have to test and record data to get best set up for YOUR car. I would start off neutral. Remember that when RC is neutral or center lined 50% of car body rolls to the right in the turn thru this rear RC. Personally i would work on making Left rear tire hook up more to help drive off the turn. Rear roll steer anyone? collapsible bushings? mount the lr spring in front of the axle?

• #1,433
On a flat track, while cornering, weight and centrifugal force act on the vehicle. Technically cornering force is a component of the lateral force taken in the direction perpendicular to the wheel moving direction, i.e. considering the side-slip angle. For easier understanding we consider lateral force acting perpendicular to the tire rotation plane. Centrifugal (lateral) forces are perpendicular to the ground and have zero contribution to the vertical force ( down force) felt by the tires (other than left/right distribution). Corn 1.jpegWeight always acts along the global vertical gravitational vector.As the track banking increase from flat, the weight felt by the tires actually decreases (m*g*cos(banking)). But with banking there is now a component of that (global) lateral acceleration in the direction of the track ( m*a_lat*sin(banking)). We loose a little weight force but pick up force due to banking. Corn 2.jpegRegarding the MC illustration Corn MC, what’s missing?

Attachments

• Corn 1.jpg
    Corn 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 537
  • corn 2.jpg
    corn 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 494
  • corn MC.jpg
    corn MC.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 638
  • #1,434
I know I dwell a lot on proper RC location and understanding the whole concept. Never forget that over simplifying something is as bad as not understanding the big picture. Reducing the whole suspension movement to a single point Roll over movement model will help but you really have to start thinking 4-D. Do not get too caught up in the RC is the only single point action when cornering. This single point/rotation model is useful for getting raceable values for roll gradient, RC height, RC location , roll rates during chassis build.

What is missing in the previous post illustration?Jacking effects. The jacking force is an extra force operating in parallel with the spring and damper resisting the cornering forces of Weight and Centrifugal force described above.

This force comes from the tires in contact with the track, acting on the vehicle. This force acts directly on the ROLL CENTER (RC) opposing the above cornering forces. Corn rc.jpegJacking is a force acting on the body from the tire which acts against the body roll effect of the cornering force. It acts laterally. The jacking force at each tire vectors to the RC. It is equal to the lateral tire load multiplied by the angle to the RC.

Look at the open wheel illustration Corn 3.jpeg. From this it’s possible to understand that in cornering the outer wheel has more horizontal load than the inner one and therefore it's jacking force is usually greater. You have a large upward jacking force from the outer wheel and a lower downward force from the inner wheel - both acting on the body. The sum of the two is a net upward force (total jacking force) which lifts the body during cornering.Think 4-D. You have the race car moving in 3D over time. The car is pitching back to front as well as down and yaw to the right and you have the time element. It is the whole X,Y and Z axis thing and time.
I took the above from F1 forum that has posts from a lot smarter people than I.A more in depth analysis is made here by Erik Zapletal (username 'Z') on the FSAE forums which includes this nice image: https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24134&start=15

Attachments

• Corn 3.jpg
    Corn 3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 793
  • corn 4.jpg
    corn 4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 440
  • #1,435
Ranger mike or anyone else that can answer this..

My question is about brake caliper location on left rear of race car.

I bought a used grand national read end to have set up as a spare last week. It came from down south.

Ok- so looking at left rear hub from the side (I’ll use a clock face to describe) the left rear caliper is mounted in the “9” position. it is on front of axle tube.
On the right side looking at hub it is mounted in the “4” position. It is mounted on the rear of axle tube.

What’s the thinking behind this?

Better yet, is there a reason for this design?

I don’t believe anything like this has been brought up here.

Maybe get everyone’s gears turning . Any thoughts welcome