Research: Applied vs. Fundamental

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to pursue a Ph.D. program in nanoscale science based on their undergraduate research in the field. They express concern about potential limitations in their future research opportunities, particularly in the area of particle physics. It is mentioned that there may be a shortage of particle physics PhD students, increasing the speaker's chances of pursuing research in that field. However, it is also noted that the job prospects for nanoscientists are positive and tenure would allow for more flexibility in research interests.
DanielFaraday
I'm graduating with a B.S. in physics and I will soon be starting a Ph.D. program in nanoscale science, which is essentially an applied physics program. I chose this program because my undergraduate research was focused in this area and I've really enjoyed it.

However, I'm wondering if my choice of Ph.D. program will limit my future opportunities to applied research only. There are some topics that I would love to research, such as particle physics, which are quite fundamental. Would I be able to get a post doc position in particle physics with a Ph.D. in nanoscale science, or would these positions only be offered to students that specifically researched particle physics as graduate students? At what point should you stop experimenting with different fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a shortage of particle physics PhD students then you might have a chance. But that's like saying if there is shortage of water in the UK then France might make some money exporting it. On the brighter side, the faculty job prospects are good for nanoscientists. And once you have tenure you can research what you want...

Reality check - you *have* stopped experimenting with different fields. You are now a nanoscientist.

Congratulations on your graduation and your acceptance into a Ph.D. program in nanoscale science! It sounds like you have a strong interest and background in this area, and I'm sure you will excel in your studies.

To address your concerns about future opportunities in applied vs. fundamental research, I want to assure you that your Ph.D. program in nanoscale science will not limit your future opportunities. In fact, many fields of science, including physics, are becoming increasingly interdisciplinary, and having a diverse background and skill set can be advantageous in your career.

While your Ph.D. program may have a focus on applied physics, it will also provide you with a strong foundation in fundamental principles and techniques. This knowledge and experience can be applied to a variety of research areas, including particle physics. So, even if you do not have a specific research project in particle physics during your Ph.D., you can still apply your skills and knowledge to this field.

In terms of postdoctoral positions, they are often offered to students who have completed a Ph.D. in a related field, but not necessarily in the exact same research area. Your experience and expertise in nanoscale science can make you a strong candidate for a postdoc in particle physics, as long as you can demonstrate your interest and potential for success in that field.

As for experimenting with different fields, I believe it is important to continue learning and exploring new areas throughout your career. This can help you stay current with developments in science and potentially open up new research opportunities. However, it is also important to have a strong foundation and expertise in one or a few specific areas, and a Ph.D. program is a great opportunity to develop that expertise.

In summary, your choice of a Ph.D. program in nanoscale science will not limit your future opportunities in applied vs. fundamental research. Your skills and knowledge can be applied to a variety of research areas, and it is important to continue learning and exploring new fields while also building a strong foundation in your chosen area of expertise. Best of luck in your studies and future research endeavors!

What is the difference between applied and fundamental research?

Applied research is focused on solving practical problems and finding solutions to real-world issues. Fundamental research, on the other hand, is more theoretical and aims to expand our understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon.

Which type of research is more valuable?

Both applied and fundamental research have their own value and importance. Applied research is crucial for addressing immediate problems and finding practical solutions, while fundamental research is essential for advancing our knowledge and understanding of the world around us.

Can applied research lead to fundamental discoveries?

Yes, applied research can often lead to fundamental discoveries. This is because while conducting applied research, scientists may come across unexpected findings that can lead to new theories and understanding.

Which type of research is more commonly used?

Applied research is more commonly used in industries and practical fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology. Fundamental research, on the other hand, is more commonly used in academic and scientific fields.

Are there any similarities between applied and fundamental research?

Both applied and fundamental research involve the use of the scientific method and rely on data and evidence to support their findings. Both types of research also contribute to the advancement of knowledge and understanding in their respective fields.