Finding Dual Space Coordinates for Projective Geometry Points

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the question is to find the coordinates of three given points in the dual space P(V') relative to the dual basis of the original 3-dimensional vector space V. The solution involves finding the appropriate f_i for each point and using them to calculate the coordinates. The resulting coordinates for the lines AB, BC, and CA are [1,a,-2], [1,b,1], and [2,c,3] respectively. The validity of this answer is still uncertain and has not yet been confirmed.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this question from Nigel Hitchin's notes in PG:
"Let V be 3-dimensional vector space with basis v1,v2,v3 and let A,B,C be points in the projective space P(V) be expressed in homogeneous coordinates relative to this basis:
A=[2,1,0], B=[0,1,1], C=[-1,1,2].
Find the coordinates wrt to the dual basis of the three points in the dual space P(V') (where V' is dual space of V) which represent the lines AB, BC,CA."

The dual basis would be f1,f2,f3, where f:V->F for some F field.
such that [tex]f_i(v_j)=\delta_{ij}[/tex] (the delta of kroncker).
So for A: v=2v1+v2, [tex]f=\sum_{i=1}^{3}c_i f_i=\sum_{i=1}^{3}f(v_i) f_i[/tex]
B: v=v2+v3, the line AB satisfies: 2v1=-v3
C: v=-v1+v2+2v3 the line CA satisfies 3v1=2v3 and BC satisfies v1=v3.

So for AB=[1,a,-2] for some a scalar, BC=[1,b,1] and for CA=[2,c,3].

Is my answer valid or not?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that there were some views, but no one dared to reply, I wonder why.

What is projective geometry?

Projective geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures and spaces without relying on the concept of distance or measurement. Instead, projective geometry focuses on the relationships between points, lines, and planes, and how they are affected by transformations such as scaling, rotation, and projection.

How is projective geometry different from Euclidean geometry?

The main difference between projective geometry and Euclidean geometry is that projective geometry does not use the concept of distance or measurement. This allows for the study of geometric properties that are not affected by changes in scale or perspective, such as parallelism and intersection. In contrast, Euclidean geometry relies on precise measurements and is limited to studying geometrical figures that can be measured and compared.

What are some real-world applications of projective geometry?

Projective geometry has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, and architecture. It is used to create 3D models, transform images, and design buildings. It also has applications in physics, as it is used to study the properties of light and optics.

What are some famous theorems in projective geometry?

Some well-known theorems in projective geometry include the Cross Ratio Theorem, the Pappus Theorem, and the Desargues Theorem. These theorems describe fundamental properties of projective spaces, and are essential in understanding the relationships between points, lines, and planes in projective geometry.

How is projective geometry relevant to other branches of mathematics?

Projective geometry has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and topology. It is also closely related to projective algebraic geometry, which studies the geometry of algebraic varieties in projective spaces. Projective geometry also has applications in modern physics, particularly in the study of spacetime and the theories of relativity.