The diference between algebra, sigma algebra and topology

In summary: Read some introductory texts, or ask a friend for help.In summary, an algebra is a collection of subsets closed under finite unions and intersections, while a sigma algebra is a collection closed under countable unions and intersections. Complements are also included in both cases. A topology starts with the idea that certain sets are open. The requirement is that the collection include all unions, but the open set collection needs to be closed only under intersections of a finite number of subsets.
dado033
how can I understand the difference between algebra, sigma algebra and topology
If I take the set A that contains a,b,c,d,e,f
the set C that contains A,phi,{a},{b,c,d,e,f}
then C is algebra on A
and C is sigma algebra on A
and (A,C) is topological space
is that true?
what is the difference ?
give me example like the obove to see the difference between them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have mixed up two different aspects of set theory. For finite sets there is nothing to say. For infinite sets the definitions are as follows:

in all cases, the entire space and the empty set are included.

An algebra is a collection of subsets closed under finite unions and intersections.
A sigma algebra is a collection closed under countable unions and intersections.
In either case, complements are also included.

A topology starts with the idea that certain sets are open. The requirement is that the collection include all unions. However the open set collection needs to be closed only under intersections of a finite number of subsets.

mathman said:
You have mixed up two different aspects of set theory. For finite sets there is nothing to say. For infinite sets the definitions are as follows:

An algebra is a collection of subsets closed under finite unions and intersections.
A sigma algebra is a collection closed under countable unions and intersections.

A topology starts with the idea that certain sets are open. The requirement is that the collection include all unions. However the open set collection needs to be closed only under intersections of a finite number of subsets.

That's a great succinct set of definitions. I could not find anything this clear on the web or in a textbook. If you don't mind, I'm saving the full post (2362521) in my files.

mathman said:

Hello. I am having a great deal of trouble understanding some of the theory on sigma algebra.

"An algebra is a collection of subsets closed under finite unions and intersections."
I'm not able to understand this one. For a sigma algebra, if the field contains, say, 20 elements, then the union of any two elements in this field must be in the field. But how is it any different for an algebra. Are the unions of only some of the elements in the field and not all of them? Does the difference come into play for only infinite sets?

In the definitions, for an algebra the unions go upto "n", for a sigma algebra the unions go upto infinity. Is "n" the number of elements in the algebra?

Also, can you recommend something to read that will help me understand the language used in the definitions? It took me a long time to be get an idea of what countable unions means and some thing that i can go to as a reference would be very helpful.

Aerostd said:
"An algebra is a collection of subsets closed under finite unions and intersections."
I'm not able to understand this one. For a sigma algebra, if the field contains, say, 20 elements, then the union of any two elements in this field must be in the field. But how is it any different for an algebra. Are the unions of only some of the elements in the field and not all of them? Does the difference come into play for only infinite sets?
A finite sigma algebra is also an algebra. The key word in the definition of a sigma algebra is the word "countable". Any subset of a finite set is going to be countable.
In the definitions, for an algebra the unions go upto "n", for a sigma algebra the unions go upto infinity. Is "n" the number of elements in the algebra?

You don't need to concern yourself with what 'n' is. The key word here is "finite".
Also, can you recommend something to read that will help me understand the language used in the definitions? It took me a long time to be get an idea of what countable unions means and some thing that i can go to as a reference would be very helpful.

This is basic set theory stuff. Set theory is the basis of almost all modern mathematics, and it's a good investment to teach yourself all about it. The book I learned from was "Set theory and logic" By Robert Roth Stoll. It's not too shabby.

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and represent mathematical structures.

What is sigma algebra?

Sigma algebra, also known as a sigma field or Borel field, is a type of algebraic structure used in probability theory and measure theory. It is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties and is used to define the concept of measure and integration.

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric properties and spatial relationships of objects that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as stretching and bending, but not tearing or gluing.

What is the main difference between algebra and sigma algebra?

The main difference between algebra and sigma algebra is that while algebra is concerned with the manipulation of symbols and equations, sigma algebra is concerned with the collection of subsets of a given set and their properties.

How are algebra, sigma algebra, and topology related?

Algebra, sigma algebra, and topology are all branches of mathematics that deal with the study of abstract structures and their properties. While algebra focuses on manipulating symbols, sigma algebra focuses on sets and topology focuses on geometric properties and spatial relationships.