Assertion when assuming g = 9.8 or 10

• Thread starter dE_logics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gravity and altitude and depth, and how it varies with different factors such as density and location. It is concluded that gravity remains relatively constant with altitude above land or water, but varies slightly with depth due to the density of the fluid. Overall, the changes in gravity are minimal and can be calculated using specific corrections.
dE_logics
1) g is not a function of height...or till what hight above the Earth's surface can it be considered as...roughly true?

2) aaa...that's about it I guess...but won't it matter with the depth of the sea...I mean we assume pressure as ρgh...but with great depths like of the pacific...it will matter I guess; so the pressure of a the water column equal to the depth of the sea will be less than ρgh (I don't know how does does this formula come actually).

Same can be said about the air column.

Physics news on Phys.org
dE_logics said:
1) g is not a function of height...or till what hight above the Earth's surface can it be considered as...roughly true?

It depends on how much accuracy you need. Calculate

[tex]g = \frac {GM_{earth}} {r^2} = \frac {GM_{earth}} {(R_{earth} + h)^2}[/tex]

for various values of h to get a feeling for how much g changes with h.

I was basically asking if I was right about what I said...was I right?

The gravitational acceleration, g, does not depend on whether you're in the ocean or on land. It simply is a function of the height approximately.

Pengwuino said:
The gravitational acceleration, g, does not depend on whether you're in the ocean or on land. It simply is a function of the height approximately.
That's not the question at hand. The question is how much gravity varies with altitude above land (or water) versus how much gravity varies with depth below water.

To first order, the answer to the first question, gravity as a function of altitude, is given by the free air correction. Gravity decreases about 3.086 µm/s2 for every meter of altitude above the surface, or 0.3086 mGal/m (a galileo (Gal) is 1 cm/s2, so an milligal (mGal) is 10 µm/s2).

The answer to the second question, gravity as a function of depth, is given by the free air correction plus a double Bouguer correction. For sea water, density = 1.03 g/cc, this means gravity increases by 0.2222 mGal for every meter of depth.

All in all, pretty dang small.

Ah, ok, I could hardly make heads or tails of the question so I just took a shot in the dark haha

For sea water, density = 1.03 g/cc, this means gravity increases by 0.2222 mGal for every meter of depth.

I was wondering gravity would not be the function of density of the fluid if you're not considering the gravitational field of the fluid itself.

Q: What is the significance of assuming g = 9.8 or 10?

Assuming g = 9.8 or 10 is important because it represents the average acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This value is used in many scientific calculations, including projectile motion and free fall.

Q: Why is g sometimes assumed to be 9.8 and other times 10?

The value of g can vary slightly depending on location and altitude. 9.8 is a more accurate representation of the average value, while 10 is a more convenient and commonly used approximation.

Q: Is assuming g = 9.8 or 10 always accurate?

No, assuming g = 9.8 or 10 is not always accurate. As mentioned before, the value of g can vary slightly depending on location and altitude. In more precise calculations, a more accurate value of g may be used.

Q: What are some examples of calculations that use the assumed value of g?

Calculations involving projectile motion, free fall, and weight are some examples where the assumed value of g is used. Other examples may include calculating the force of gravity or the velocity of an object in free fall.

Q: How is the value of g determined and measured?

The value of g is determined by measuring the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity. This can be done using various scientific instruments such as a pendulum or accelerometer. The average value is then calculated from multiple measurements taken at different locations and altitudes.