Potential Vacuum Energy: Does it Double Every 11B Years?

In summary, according to this conversation, the vacuum energy would be converted into kinetic energy when the cube of air and the vacuum were joined. The vacuum energy would double in 11 billion years.
Rubix
Let's say I have a 5m3 cube of air and right next to it a 5m3 vacuum. Does the cube of air have potential energy? According to that, the potential energy would be converted into kinetic energy when the cube of air and the vacuum were joined. Would vacuum energy be the initial potential energy of the air?

And apparently (I read in a thread here) that vacuum energy constant will double in 11 billion years? Does that mean that the cube of air in 11 billion years will have more potential vacuum energy? Doesn't really make a lot of sense in the big picture.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both 5m^3 cubes have the same amount of vacuum energy. The side with the air also has the energy of the air [E=mc^2]. Yes the potential energy of the air pressure will be partially converted to kinetic energy as the pressure drops in half as the two sides are opened to each other.

As to the vacuum energy doubling in 11 billion years if it does it will do so in both cubes. I guess we could ask where does the energy come from? What about conservation of energy (or I guess in spacetime conservation of 4-momentum).

Rubix said:
...Would vacuum energy be the initial potential energy of the air?
No, that is not what the term "vacuum energy" refers to. Vacuum energy is also known as " zero point energy" and, if you are doing a web search, you should also look for the term, " Casimir affect." Basically, vacuum energy is the result of a phenomenon predicted by quantum mechanics; the continual emergence and annihilation of virtual particles.

Vacuum energy is never having to say you are empty space. It is what remains when everything else is removed from a volume of space. It is misleading to think of it as 'energy' because you cannot actually draw any energy from it. It is the lowest possible energy state that can exist in the universe. As Lurch noted, it is a consequence of quantum physics.

But it can produce a pressure that accelerates that rate of expansion of the universe.

It is misleading to think of it as 'energy' because you cannot actually draw any energy from it.

Really? So you could not do work from it?

I would say if it accelerates the expansion of the universe we are getting some work out of it. Though I agree I see no way to use the vacuum energy for human use (i.e. heating a cup of tea).

1. What is potential vacuum energy?

Potential vacuum energy, also known as dark energy, is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to exist in the vacuum of space. It is believed to be the driving force behind the accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How does potential vacuum energy double every 11 billion years?

This doubling rate is based on the current estimated rate of expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, more space is created, and with it, more potential vacuum energy. This energy is thought to double every 11 billion years, resulting in even more expansion.

3. What evidence supports the theory of potential vacuum energy doubling?

One of the main pieces of evidence supporting this theory is the observed accelerated expansion of the universe. Additionally, other studies on the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies also support the idea of potential vacuum energy doubling over time.

4. Could this doubling eventually lead to a "Big Rip" scenario?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the doubling of potential vacuum energy will result in a "Big Rip" scenario, where the expansion of the universe becomes so rapid that it tears apart all matter. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and is not yet fully understood.

5. How does potential vacuum energy relate to other theories of dark energy?

Potential vacuum energy is just one of several theories attempting to explain the nature of dark energy. Other theories include quintessence, which proposes a dynamic form of dark energy, and modified gravity, which suggests that our current understanding of gravity may be incomplete. Currently, there is no consensus on which theory is correct, and further research is needed to better understand the nature of dark energy.