Energy in inductor and capacitor

In summary, energy in an inductor is given by (Li^2)/2, but can also be expressed as E=integral(from 0 to t)Li di, where i is current and t is time. This is because the integral represents the power absorbed over a certain period of time. The same concept applies to capacitance, where power is given by P=Ei, with E representing the electromotive force due to the inductive effect. The energy expended can be calculated using different variables, such as time or current, but the end result should be the same as long as the function for i is differentiable and i(0)=0.
smslca
Energy in inductor is given as (Li2])/2
but energy is power absorbed in t secs is E=integral(from 0 to t)Lidi here i is current.
since this integral stretches from 0 to t After doing the integral the current i must be turned into the time variable i.e E=(Lt2)/2;
Then why are we writing it as i2 what is this i represent. Is this the current i and this Energy i the same or different.

Same problem for capacitance in terms of voltage

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Power,P=Ei where E stands for the emf due to the inductive effect
Energy spent in time [0 to t]= integral[0 to t]Eidt

|E|= L di/dt

Energy expended= integral[0 to t]Li di/dt * dt
= integral[0 to i]Li di [please do note the change of variable here]
= 1/2 Li^2

Anamitra said:
[please do note the change of variable here]
since they may not be equal how could time change into current.
Let us suppose we want to find energy for 2 secs with current of x amps , and inductance 1 henry , then
IS E=0.5x joules using i as variable in boundary value correct or E=2 joules using t as variable in boundary value is a correct one.

Last edited:
Things would become clear if you know how current is changing with time i=i(t)

if you know the above function you can again find f(t) =di/dt
Then you find:

integral[0 to 2]L*i(t)* f(t)dt ------------- (1)

OR
You use the relation i=i(t) to calculate the current at time=2 seconds
that is you find i(2),noting i(0)=0

Then
Energy expended=
= integral[0 to i(2)]Li di
= 1/2 Li(2)^2 ---------------- (2)

(1) and (2) should give you the same result for any function i=i(t)provided they are differentiable and provided i(0)=0

The energy stored in an inductor and a capacitor is different and is calculated differently. In an inductor, the energy is stored in the form of a magnetic field, while in a capacitor, the energy is stored in the form of an electric field.

The equation E=(Li^2)/2 is the energy stored in an inductor, where L is the inductance and i is the current flowing through it. The integral equation E=integral(from 0 to t)Lidi represents the total energy absorbed by the inductor over a period of time t. The equation E=(Lt^2)/2 is derived from this integral equation by substituting the variable i with the time variable t.

Similarly, for a capacitor, the energy stored is given by E=(CV^2)/2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage across it. The integral equation for energy in a capacitor is E=integral(from 0 to t)Cvdv, where v is the voltage. This equation is also derived from the integral equation by substituting the voltage variable v with the time variable t.

In both cases, the variables i and v represent the current and voltage at a particular time, and the equations represent the total energy stored in the inductor or capacitor. So, the energy stored and the energy absorbed are the same, just calculated in different ways using different variables. It is important to note that the energy stored in an inductor or capacitor is not the same as the power absorbed, which is the rate at which energy is being transferred.

In summary, the equations E=(Li^2)/2 and E=(CV^2)/2 represent the energy stored in an inductor and a capacitor, respectively, and the variables i and v represent the current and voltage at a particular time. The integral equations represent the total energy absorbed over a period of time, which can be derived from the energy equations by substituting the appropriate variables.

1. What is the difference between an inductor and a capacitor?

An inductor is a passive electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while a capacitor is a passive electrical component that stores energy in the form of an electric field.

2. How does an inductor store energy?

An inductor stores energy by creating a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field can then be used to produce a voltage when the current is interrupted.

3. What is the role of an inductor and a capacitor in an electrical circuit?

An inductor and a capacitor work together to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. The inductor resists changes in current, while the capacitor resists changes in voltage. Together, they can help stabilize the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. Can an inductor or capacitor store an infinite amount of energy?

No, both inductors and capacitors have maximum energy storage capacities. This limit is determined by the physical characteristics of the component, such as its size and material, as well as the voltage and current in the circuit.

5. How does the energy stored in an inductor or capacitor affect the overall efficiency of a circuit?

The energy stored in an inductor or capacitor can affect the efficiency of a circuit by introducing losses due to the resistance of the component and the surrounding materials. It is important to carefully consider the energy storage components in a circuit in order to maximize efficiency.