Understanding the Leibniz Integral Rule in Real Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating an integral using Leibniz's Rule and changing the limits of integration. The person is struggling with the concept and references resources for further understanding.
filter54321
I'm in real analysis classes but my calculus is shaky when I hit things that aren't plug and chug. How do you evaluate this integral and why can you ignore the dx differential?

The more theoretical details, it smells like some flavor of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus or Leibniz's Rule but I'm lost:

Differentiate with respect to t:

d/dt [ t + Integral(m(t-x) dx, 0, t) ]

It's supposed to evaluate to 1 + m(t). I see where the 1 comes from but I don't know anything about m(t) though so there has to be a general principle...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
change the limits on the integral. let g(x)=t-x, and change the limits to g(0) and g(t) before deriving

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Definite-Integrals.topicArticleId-39909,articleId-39903.html"
go to the definite integral evaluation section for more detail

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of differentiating an integral?

Differentiating an integral is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It helps us understand how the value of a function is changing at a particular point.

2. How is differentiation related to integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations. Differentiation is the process of finding the slope of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that differentiation and integration are two sides of the same coin.

3. Can any integral be differentiated?

Yes, any integral can be differentiated as long as the function is continuous and differentiable on the given interval. If a function is not continuous or has a sharp corner or discontinuity, it cannot be differentiated at that point.

4. What is the notation used for differentiation and integration?

The notation used for differentiation is dy/dx, where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. For integration, the notation is ∫ f(x) dx, where f(x) is the function to be integrated and dx represents the infinitesimal change in the independent variable.

5. Can differentiation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, differentiation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and model real-world phenomena.