Can you accelerate faster than the speed of light?

In summary: If you divide by the speed of light, it comes out to be 0.2186c which is close to 1/2c.In summary, according to the conversation, the acceleration has no limit and it is possible to accelerate something faster than the speed of light. However, the resulting speed change is less than 0.5c.
MrInteresting
hello all,
I know that it is impossible for something to have a speed greater than c, is it possible however to accelerate faster than c? For example, would it be possible to accelerate something at 4c/s for 1/8 of a second, resulting in a speed of 1/2c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration and speed have different units, you cannot compare them.

There's no limit on the magnitude of "a" but the resulting speed change is less than "at".

DaleSpam said:
Acceleration and speed have different units, you cannot compare them.

im not comparing them to each other. I am asking if acceleration has a limit, using the limit of v=c as an example.

ghwellsjr said:
There's no limit on the magnitude of "a" but the resulting speed change is less than "at".

This isn't clear to me, at=v, did you mean at<c?

The relativistic formula for the speed attained according to the rest frame is

[itex]v/c=(at/c)/sqrt(1+(at/c)^2)[/itex]

Plug in any values you want for the constant proper acceleration and the length of time of acceleration according to the rest frame and the resulting speed will always be less than c.

MrInteresting said:
hello all,
I know that it is impossible for something to have a speed greater than c, is it possible however to accelerate faster than c? For example, would it be possible to accelerate something at 4c/s for 1/8 of a second, resulting in a speed of 1/2c?

Broadly speaking the upper limit to the acceleration is infinite and certainly greater than 1c/s^2. The correct equation for the terminal velocity due a given constant proper velocity has been given by grav-universe. The choice of 1 seconds as the time unit for acceleration is arbitrary and we can always find a smaller unit of time where the speed of light limit is not broken in that time. What is debatable is whether there is a limit imposed by quantum considerations such as the maximum velocity attainable in one Planck unit of time, which depends upon whether the Plank unit is an indivisible "quanta" of time, but since no experiments have ever been carried out in these extremes, I would be moving into the realm of pure conjecture. Consider it just an idle thought :wink: Maybe we will learn more when someone comes up with a true Theory of Everything and quantum gravity, but as far as I know, SR and GR do not put an upper limit on acceleration.

MrInteresting said:
ghwellsjr said:
This isn't clear to me, at=v, did you mean at<c?
No, I was taking what I thought you were doing in your example:
MrInteresting said:
For example, would it be possible to accelerate something at 4c/s for 1/8 of a second, resulting in a speed of 1/2c?
I thought you had a=4c/s and t=1/8 s and you multiplied according to v=at to get v=1/2 c and I was pointing out that the speed would be less than 0.5c. In fact, using grav-universe's formula it comes out to 0.447c.

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

2. Can acceleration make something exceed the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for any object to accelerate to or beyond the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases exponentially, making it more and more difficult to speed up. This means that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light.

3. What happens if an object does exceed the speed of light?

If an object were to somehow exceed the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics as we know them. Time would appear to move backwards for the object, and it would require an infinite amount of energy to slow down or stop. Additionally, it is not possible for an object to exceed the speed of light in a vacuum, as there is no medium for it to travel through.

4. Could the laws of physics change to allow for faster-than-light travel?

While it is always possible for our understanding of physics to evolve and change, it is highly unlikely that the laws of physics will allow for faster-than-light travel. Many experiments and theories have been tested and confirmed to support the current understanding of the universe, and any major changes to these laws would require significant evidence.

5. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light limit?

There are a few phenomena that can appear to exceed the speed of light, such as the expansion of the universe and some types of quantum entanglement. However, these are not instances of objects actually moving faster than light, but rather the result of other factors. In general, the speed of light remains the ultimate speed limit in our universe.