ODE Logistics Equation: Solving for Rabbit Population Growth Rate

• Thread starter cue928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the problem involves a rabbit population that is initially 100 and increasing at a rate of 20 rabbits per month. The time rate of change of the population is proportional to the square root of the population. By solving for a constant of integration and using the given initial conditions, the final step is to determine the population after one year.
cue928
I have the following logistics problem that I am stuck about halfway thru:
The time rate of change of a rabbit population P is proportional to the square root of P. At time t=0 (months) the population numbers 100 rabbits and is increasing at the rate of 20 rabbits per month. How many rabbits will there be one year late?

I obtained the equation dy/dt = k*p^.5 I solved for a "k" value of 2, but I do not know where to go from there. How do I account for the 20? I understand that is a rate of change but at what point do you substitute that in the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already used the 20(=dP/dt @ t=0) to find your rate constant (k).

Next step (actually, the first step I did when working through it) is to find the value of the constant of integration you get when you integrate to find your unknown function. Use the given initial conditions P(0)=100.

1. What is the ODE logistics equation?

The ODE logistics equation is a mathematical model used to describe the growth of a population over time when limited resources are available. It takes into account factors such as birth rate, death rate, and carrying capacity.

2. What is the significance of the carrying capacity in the ODE logistics equation?

The carrying capacity is the maximum population size that can be sustained by the available resources in a given environment. In the ODE logistics equation, it is represented by the parameter K and plays a crucial role in determining the population growth rate.

3. How is the ODE logistics equation different from the exponential growth equation?

The ODE logistics equation takes into account the limiting factor of carrying capacity, whereas the exponential growth equation assumes unlimited resources and a constant growth rate. This makes the ODE logistics equation a more realistic model for population growth in natural systems.

4. Can the ODE logistics equation be applied to other systems besides population growth?

Yes, the ODE logistics equation is a general model for any system that exhibits growth or decay over time with a limiting factor. It has been used in various fields such as ecology, economics, and epidemiology to model the dynamics of different systems.

5. How is the ODE logistics equation solved?

The ODE logistics equation can be solved analytically using integration techniques or numerically using computer software. It can also be solved graphically by plotting the equation and analyzing the behavior of the population over time.