Curl of Vector Field u = yi+(x+z)j+xy^(2)k: Step-by-Step Calculation Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curl of a given vector field and confirming the answer using a method similar to finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The final answer is 2x^2 - x + y^4 - y^2. The conversation also mentions finding the dot product of the vector v and the established curl for u, which results in a scalar without the need for unit vectors.
andrey21
Find the curl of the following vector field

u = yi+(x+z)j+xy^(2)k

Now using the method I've bin taught similar to finding determinant of 3x3 matrix here is my answer
i(2yx-1) -j(y^2) +k(0)Just looking for confirmation if this is correct or any basic errors I have made thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Confirmed that it is correct, then.

Thank you Char.limit just a follow up question I am asked:

Find (curl u).v

Where
v = xi+(y^(2) - 1)j+(1-x^(2))k

Is that just the dot product of the vector v and the curl established for u. Thank you

Yes it is. And you can just ignore the k part completely.

So would that give me:

(2x^(2) y -x) +(y^(4) - y^(2))

Also do I still need the i j k notations??

YOu have obtained a scalar. There's no more unit vector involved.

Oh ok so my final answer would just be 2x^(2) - x +y^(4) - y^(2)

correct?

1. What is the definition of Curl?

The curl of a vector field is a mathematical operation that measures the rate of rotation of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ × F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field.

2. How is the Curl calculated?

The curl is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient operator (∇) and the vector field (F). This results in a new vector that represents the magnitude and direction of the rotation at each point in the field.

3. What does a positive or negative Curl value indicate?

A positive curl value indicates that the rotation at a given point is counterclockwise, while a negative value indicates a clockwise rotation. A curl value of zero indicates that there is no rotation at that point.

4. What are some real-world applications of Curl?

Curl has various applications in physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. It is used to analyze the movement of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the stress and strain in solid materials.

5. How is Curl related to Divergence?

Curl and divergence are both operations that can be applied to vector fields. The curl measures the rotation of a vector field, while the divergence measures the expansion or contraction of a vector field. They are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the curl of a gradient is always equal to zero, and the divergence of a curl is always equal to zero.