Thermodynamics: Open or Closed System

In summary, in a closed system, evaporation of water will occur until equilibrium is reached. The rate at which this happens will be determined by the heat source that is present.
AndjpANDJ
Ok this is solely for my interest. I should know this if I were taking Grade 12 Chemistry, but I haven't had this course in two years, and neither have I continued in pure science since then so please if you know better tell me if this is correct AND if it is only so because the case is of a closed system:

You are cooking water, but the water is in a pot that is in a sealed box (without pores, but the lid is closed, like pretend it is a clear plastic box).

The water starts to evaporate because it is undergoing an endothermic reaction from the cooking fire (but the air becomes hotter because it is a closed system and has no where to escape to).

The air becomes saturated with water vapour and this starts to condense on the walls. Since it's condensing; does this mean that it is suddenly an exothermic reaction? Provided that the heat source continues; will this water continue evaporating and condensing back? Which reaction will happen quicker, or will it eventually do so at a constant rate becomes it ends up in equilibrium?

Now; we take away the heat source. I guess it'll end up turning back into liquid, until it condenses just enough for a natural rate of evaporation and condensation (like when you close a waterbottle cap).

Science news on Phys.org
AndjpANDJ said:
Ok this is solely for my interest. I should know this if I were taking Grade 12 Chemistry, but I haven't had this course in two years, and neither have I continued in pure science since then so please if you know better tell me if this is correct AND if it is only so because the case is of a closed system:

You are cooking water, but the water is in a pot that is in a sealed box (without pores, but the lid is closed, like pretend it is a clear plastic box).

The water starts to evaporate because it is undergoing an endothermic reaction from the cooking fire (but the air becomes hotter because it is a closed system and has no where to escape to).

The air becomes saturated with water vapour and this starts to condense on the walls. Since it's condensing; does this mean that it is suddenly an exothermic reaction? Provided that the heat source continues; will this water continue evaporating and condensing back? Which reaction will happen quicker, or will it eventually do so at a constant rate becomes it ends up in equilibrium?

Now; we take away the heat source. I guess it'll end up turning back into liquid, until it condenses just enough for a natural rate of evaporation and condensation (like when you close a waterbottle cap).
Closed and open depend on if you want stuff to go to boundary or not.

I can have a lot of STUFF go on in a closed boundary system, but I can also have a little stuff go on inside a system but a lot of stuff HAPPEN because the boundary isn't closed.

The water vapor touches the walls which are still cool enough to absorb heat from the vapor, causing it to condense. Over time if you kept the heat up and had the correct mix of water and air, you could get all of the water to turn into vapor and no longer condense on the walls since they will heat up and eventually reach equalibrium with the rest of the box.(Assuming the walls were perfect insulators and didn't transfer heat to the outside. But in reality this isn't the case) In a real experiment the walls would continually give off heat, and unless your heat source provided enough heat you might not ever reach the point where all the water is evaporated.

By the change of phase you have lost a whole lot of stuff.

What can we define, what can we measure, what can I contemplate?

mt8891 said:
By the change of phase you have lost a whole lot of stuff.

What can we define, what can we measure, what can I contemplate?

What do you mean? The change of phase is simply losing or gaining energy. If it is a sealed box that doesn't let anything in or out, then we havn't lost any matter.

You've lost stuff. If you can't observe it you can't observe it...after that we move into quantum physics. What happens to water inside of an infinitely long pipe of radius R? I dunno, the pipe is infinite. We can make measurements and say "at such and such point the quality will be such and such" but that is only because of what we know.

Entropy, converting stuff into junk, tends toward the maximum. If there is no entropy generated, we still have entropy change unless the system is isentropic. We have rules for that though. We need to know what sort of cycle we are dealing with. We need to know some of the states it is going through. From that we can determine what we need. We can figure out how it behaves.

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-tables.asp

Look at it this way. I can do a lot more with water VAPOR than I can do with LIQUID water. Liquid Water is cool but it's just a liquid. It has liquid properties. It does what liquid does. I want steam. Why? Because I can make steam do a lot of stuff that water can but better. Steam can propel a turbine BUT it can do it with awesomeness. Liquid water can do it but it sucks at it. It's quality is zero.

Equilibrium depends upon the dead state conditions. If the water is left there after it boils and just sits eventually it will go to whatever state those conditions say it should go to. On the contrary, the environment will say "Hey, there is some crazy water here" and adjust itself so that it goes to the lowest state it can so that it doesn't violate those RULES we know about. However, it does not do anything funny. It simply does what the water is doing. It goes to a dead state, it tries to go toward an equilibrium. These are just heat reservoirs trying to go to the dead state.

Last edited:
mt8891 said:
You've lost stuff. If you can't observe it you can't observe it...after that we move into quantum physics. What happens to water inside of an infinitely long pipe of radius R? I dunno, the pipe is infinite. We can make measurements and say "at such and such point the quality will be such and such" but that is only because of what we know.

Entropy, converting stuff into junk, tends toward the maximum. If there is no entropy generated, we still have entropy change unless the system is isentropic. We have rules for that though. We need to know what sort of cycle we are dealing with. We need to know some of the states it is going through. From that we can determine what we need. We can figure out how it behaves.

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-tables.asp

I have no idea what any of that has to do with the original post. His question was easily answered without going into detail about quantum physics and entropy.

Whoops.

Drakkith said:
... if you kept the heat up and had the correct mix of water and air...

Thanks everyone for their responses. For yours Drakkith, by correct mix of water and air do you mean relative to the container? Or both proportionally to themselves in relation to the container? (because I feel as if the amount to evaporate would change to a lot more if the container were larger)

...do you have some degree that involves Chemistry to know this? Or is it common knowledge if you're hypothesizing, although you sound highly credible.

AndjpANDJ said:
Thanks everyone for their responses. For yours Drakkith, by correct mix of water and air do you mean relative to the container? Or both proportionally to themselves in relation to the container? (because I feel as if the amount to evaporate would change to a lot more if the container were larger)

...do you have some degree that involves Chemistry to know this? Or is it common knowledge if you're hypothesizing, although you sound highly credible.

Whatever proportion of water to air in your container that would result in all of it being able to evaporate. I don't know what that would be.

No degree, just using my acquired knowledge. It's entirely possible that I'm incorrect, but I don't think so.

Cool, Thanks!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how it affects the properties of matter.

What is an open system in thermodynamics?

An open system in thermodynamics refers to a system that can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings. This means that the system can receive or release mass, heat, or work to or from its environment. Examples of open systems include boiling water in an open pot or a car engine.

What is a closed system in thermodynamics?

A closed system in thermodynamics is a system that can only exchange energy with its surroundings, but not matter. This means that the total mass of the system remains constant. Examples of closed systems include a sealed bottle of water or a sealed thermos.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in physical systems. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time.

What is the difference between an open and closed system in terms of energy?

An open system can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy. This means that an open system can have a change in its internal energy due to the exchange of matter, while the internal energy of a closed system can only change due to the exchange of energy. Additionally, the total energy of an open system can vary, while the total energy of a closed system remains constant.