Creating a Vector Field from a 3D Parametric Equation

In summary: Wolfram Alpha didn't do anything when I tried it there just now, although it does plot the parametric equation withGrapher can plot the equation in various ways, but the most common is with a vector field. In summary, you can try Wolfram Alpha or Grapher to see if it will plot the equation in a vector field, but it may not work.
theobserver
I am trying to turn a 3D parametric equation into a vector field for an experiment, but I am not having much luck. [x,y,z]=[r*cos(u),r*sin(u),a*u] is the equation, I'm using grapher on the Mac. I want it all going in a helix, which is what the equation is for.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite an answer to your question I'm afraid, but just in case it's any help, you can plot a vector field like this in Mathematica:

Code:
VectorPlot3D[{Norm[{x, y, z}]*Cos[ArcTan[x, y]], 
  Norm[{x, y, z}]*Cos[ArcTan[x, y]], ArcTan[x, y]}, {x, -9, 
  9}, {y, -9, 9}, {z, -9, 9}]

Wolfram Alpha didn't do anything when I tried it there just now, although it does plot the parametric equation with

Code:
ParametricPlot3D[{Cos[u],Sin[u],u}, {u, 0, 9}]

(taking r = a = 1).

theobserver said:
I am trying to turn a 3D parametric equation into a vector field for an experiment, but I am not having much luck. [x,y,z]=[r*cos(u),r*sin(u),a*u] is the equation, I'm using grapher on the Mac. I want it all going in a helix, which is what the

Hello again :)

Maybe it would help to explain the purpose a bit clearer. There's no unique way to convert a helix to a vector field. What do you want the vector field to look like? Should it fill all space or just exist on the curve? Should it be tangent to the curve at points on the curve?

If you simply want to plot the equation directly to get a picture of the helix then you don't need any extra math, the equation is already in an ideal form for parametric plotting. Just look up the manual for Grapher, equivalent to Rasel's ParametricPlot3D example.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the distribution of vectors in a given space. It is represented by a set of vectors that have both magnitude and direction at each point in the space.

2. How can a vector field be created from a 3D parametric equation?

A vector field can be created from a 3D parametric equation by using the variables in the equation to define the components of the vector at each point in the space. For example, the x-component of the vector can be defined as the first parameter in the equation, the y-component as the second parameter, and the z-component as the third parameter.

3. What is the significance of creating a vector field from a 3D parametric equation?

Creating a vector field from a 3D parametric equation allows for the visualization and analysis of vector quantities in a given space. This can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics where vector quantities are commonly studied.

4. Can a vector field be created from any type of parametric equation?

Yes, a vector field can be created from any type of parametric equation as long as the equation defines the parameters necessary to determine the vector components at each point in the space.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector fields created from 3D parametric equations?

Some real-world applications of vector fields created from 3D parametric equations include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and weather forecasting. These fields involve the study and analysis of vector quantities and benefit from the use of vector fields for visualization and analysis.