Making the equation of a parabola

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, to express y in terms of x for a parabola with a vertex at (2,10) and roots at (0,0) and (4,0), use the vertex form of the quadratic equation, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the vertex and a is the same as the a in y = ax^2 + bx + c. Plug in either root for x and y to solve for a, then rewrite the equation in standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c) to determine the values of b and c.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

So i have a parabola graphed, i need to express y in terms of X. The vertex is 2,10 and the roots are 0,0 and 4,0.

Homework Equations

ax^2+bx+c=y

quadratic

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of working the quadratic in a reverse process, but it doesn't work. Because one of the roots is at 0,0, i guess it doesn't have either b or c. Because the paraboal is upwards and not downards, i guess X must be negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the vertex form of the quadratic:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k,
where (h, k) is the vertex and a is the same as the a in y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then plug in either root for x and y to solve for a. Once you get the complete vertex form, change it standard form and you'll see what b and c are.

eumyang said:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k,
where (h, k) is the vertex and a is the same as the a in y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then plug in either root for x and y to solve for a. Once you get the complete vertex form, change it standard form and you'll see what b and c are.

man I am feeling dumb, how am i supposed to know what b and c are?

i got to the point where i reachd 2b+c=9.52 after doing some algebra, with the other root, i have another result, so I am also confused by that.

stonecoldgen said:

Homework Statement

So i have a parabola graphed, i need to express y in terms of X. The vertex is 2,10 and the roots are 0,0 and 4,0.

Homework Equations

ax^2+bx+c=y

quadratic

I thought of working the quadratic in a reverse process, but it doesn't work. Because one of the roots is at 0,0, i guess it doesn't have either b or c. Because the paraboal is upwards and not downards, i guess X must be negative.

There are three possible equations for a parabola

y = ax2 + bx + c
y = a(x-e)2 + f [we don't usually use e and f for constants]
y = a(x-u)(x-v)

Any of them can be used, along with the co-ordinates of any 3 points on the graph, to generate 3 simultaneous equations in 3 unknowns , which can then be solved.

The second is quite useful if you happen to know the Turning Point - you can evaluate some of the constants by inspection.

The third is particularly useful if you know the roots [x intercepts] as again you can solve some constants by inspection.

stonecoldgen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ax^2+bx+c=y

quadratic

If f(x) = a*x^2 + b*x + c is a quadratic with roots r1 and r2, it must be of the form k*(x - r1)*(x - r2), because it must vanish at x = r1 and at x = r2, and have powers of x no higher than 2.

RGV

eumyang said:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k,

stonecoldgen said:

i got to the point where i reachd 2b+c=9.52 after doing some algebra, with the other root, i have another result, so I am also confused by that.
Not sure how you got that. Let me try again. Start with the vertex form:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k

The vertex is (2, 10), so you plug that in for h and k:
y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Notice that there are still 3 variables. But we are given two points: (0, 0) and (4, 0). So plug in either x = 0 & y = 0, or x = 4 & y = 0, into the equation above. Now the only unknown is a. Solve for a.

Take this equation below and now plug in the value for a:
y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Rewrite the above into standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c) by squaring the binomial in the parentheses and simplifying. At the end, the number in front of x will be your b value, and the constant will be your c value. Now try it.

vertex is 2,10 and the roots are 0,0 and 4,0.
Putting x= 2, y= 10, x= 0, y= 0, and x= 4, y= 4 into [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] gives you three linear equations for a, b, and c.

stonecoldgen said:

Perhaps you could show us how you managed that.

eumyang said:
Not sure how you got that. Let me try again. Start with the vertex form:
y = a(x - h)^2 + k

The vertex is (2, 10), so you plug that in for h and k:
y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Notice that there are still 3 variables. But we are given two points: (0, 0) and (4, 0). So plug in either x = 0 & y = 0, or x = 4 & y = 0, into the equation above. Now the only unknown is a. Solve for a.

Take this equation below and now plug in the value for a:
y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Rewrite the above into standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c) by squaring the binomial in the parentheses and simplifying. At the end, the number in front of x will be your b value, and the constant will be your c value. Now try it.

well, i guess this was the most useful of the posts, thanks

What is the standard form of a parabola equation?

The standard form of a parabola equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c. This form is used to graph parabolas and is also known as the vertex form.

How do I find the vertex of a parabola?

To find the vertex of a parabola, use the equation x = -b/2a to find the x-coordinate of the vertex. Then, plug in this value into the equation to find the y-coordinate. The vertex is represented as (x,y).

What is the significance of the coefficient "a" in a parabola equation?

The coefficient "a" determines the direction and shape of the parabola. If "a" is positive, the parabola opens upwards and if "a" is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

How do I find the axis of symmetry of a parabola?

The axis of symmetry is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two equal halves. To find the axis of symmetry, use the equation x = -b/2a. This line will pass through the vertex of the parabola.

What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical parabola?

A horizontal parabola has the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is equal to 0. This means that the parabola does not open up or down, but rather it opens left or right. A vertical parabola has the form x = ay^2 + by + c, where a is not equal to 0. This type of parabola opens up or down.