What is the Angular Velocity at a Given Angle for a Given Angular Acceleration?

In summary, the given scenario involves finding the angular velocity when theta is equal to pi/3, given that the angular acceleration of line a is -2w^2 rad/s and when theta is pi/6, w=10 rad/s. The solution involves using the chain rule and separating variables in order to solve the differential equation -2w^2. The final answer can be found by integrating again and including the constant of integration.
seboastien

Homework Statement

angular acceleration of line a= -2w^2 rad/s

when theta=pi/6, w= 10 rad/s

what is angular velocity when theta= pi/3?

Homework Equations

chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

w= e^-2theta is my answer, but I know this is wrong

I know that this question is really easy, but I just don't know how to get it

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you should know that α= -2ω2 means that dω/dt = -2ω2

which is an easily solvable DE once you 'separate the variables' i.e. put all the things with ω on one side and t on the other then integrate both sides.

But then I end up with t=1/2w, how do I find the rest of the answer?

Someone please help me!

seboastien said:
But then I end up with t=1/2w, how do I find the rest of the answer?

I now saw that you have ω and θ so forget my above post and replace α with ω*dω/dθ and integrate again. Do not forget the constant of integration which you can find with the conditions they gave you.

Yes, that was my problem all along... I forgot to add the constant! Thanks.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be caused by a torque or a net force acting on an object with a non-zero moment of inertia. It is also affected by the distribution of mass and shape of the object.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation a = αr, where a is linear acceleration, α is angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the point of rotation to the object.

What are some real-world applications of angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is important in many areas of physics and engineering, including the movement of celestial bodies, the behavior of spinning objects such as tops and gyroscopes, and the design of vehicles such as cars and airplanes. It is also used in sports to analyze the motions of athletes and equipment.