Prove Series Product: 1+3^(-2^n) = 3/2(1-3^(-2^n+1))

Can you express the sum of the first n terms in terms of n? Can you prove that your formula is correct by induction?In summary, the given equation can be proven using induction and writing out the initial terms of the product to identify a pattern that can be expressed as a finite series. The sum of the first n terms can be found using a formula for finite series and can be proven using induction.
mishrashubham

Homework Statement

Prove that
[tex] \prod_{n=0}^n 1+3^{-2^{n}}= \frac{3}{2}(1-3^{-2^{n+1}})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am an idiot in math and I couldn't figure out where to start. I thought about using log to convert it into a summation series (I find sums easier to handle than products), but I couldn't progress. I just need a direction, a place to start from. I can hopefully take over from there.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What course is this for? Just out of curiosity, I have no idea how to answer the question, and am just wondering what course this is for. I wasn't introduced to basic series stuff tell Calculus II.

GreenPrint said:
What course is this for? Just out of curiosity, I have no idea how to answer the question, and am just wondering what course this is for. I wasn't introduced to basic series stuff tell Calculus II.

I don't know about the US equivalent, but I have this in Algebra, under "Sequences, Series and Progressions".

just use the induction it is quite easy

With infinite series or products, when in doubt, try writing out the first few terms. Set n = 1 , write the two terms in the product and multiply them out; what do you get? Now try it with n = 2 and multiply the third term times your result from n = 1. What sort of sum are you getting? Do you know an expression for the sum of a finite set of such terms?

NeroKid said:

It's true that induction would suffice to prove the relationship, which is all that is asked here. However, it would be nice to be able to establish the relationship, which in fact also turns out to be easy if you start multiplying out the terms of the product and looking at what that gives you...

NeroKid said:

It really was extremely easy using induction. Thanks for the idea. I should have thought about using induction earlier.

dynamicsolo said:
With infinite series or products, when in doubt, try writing out the first few terms. Set n = 1 , write the two terms in the product and multiply them out; what do you get? Now try it with n = 2 and multiply the third term times your result from n = 1. What sort of sum are you getting? Do you know an expression for the sum of a finite set of such terms?

It's true that induction would suffice to prove the relationship, which is all that is asked here. However, it would be nice to be able to establish the relationship, which in fact also turns out to be easy if you start multiplying out the terms of the product and looking at what that gives you...

I always do that if I encounter series; to see if I get some pattern. But I couldn't figure it out in this question.

Thanks for the replies people.

What's the name of the giant N character and which n is placed on top of and n=0 is placed on the bottom of? Is this just a different way to write sigma, and is the same way of indicating a series from n=0 to n?

GreenPrint said:
What's the name of the giant N character and which n is placed on top of and n=0 is placed on the bottom of? Is this just a different way to write sigma, and is the same way of indicating a series from n=0 to n?

Pretty much yes but a series of products instead of sums.

It's the symbol for a Number Product a giant pi symbol in fact, but then that is trivial.

Product of n=0...n ...

ETA: for clarity.

oops.

My bad that's for product series, sigma is for summation series... hmm interesting

GreenPrint said:

It's a product symbol but it's not quite written correctly. It should be:

[tex]\prod_{k=0}^n \left( 1+3^{-2^{k}}\right) = \frac{3}{2}(1-3^{-2^{n+1}})[/tex]

mishrashubham said:

Homework Statement

Prove that
[tex] \prod_{n=0}^n 1+3^{-2^{n}}= \frac{3}{2}(1-3^{-2^{n+1}})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am an idiot in math and I couldn't figure out where to start. I thought about using log to convert it into a summation series (I find sums easier to handle than products), but I couldn't progress. I just need a direction, a place to start from. I can hopefully take over from there.

Thanks

I get the answer [tex] 1 + 3^{-2^n}[/tex] because your expression equals [tex] (\prod_{n=0}^n 1) + 3^{-2^n}. [/tex] However, if you meant [tex] \prod_{k=0}^n (1 + 3^{-2^k}), [/tex] then that would give a different answer.

RGV

uart said:
It's a product symbol but it's not quite written correctly. It should be:

[tex]\prod_{k=0}^n \left( 1+3^{-2^{k}}\right) = \frac{3}{2}(1-3^{-2^{n+1}})[/tex]

My apologies.

One more thing. How would I go about solving it had I not known the right hand side?

mishrashubham said:
How would I go about solving it had I not known the right hand side?

If you write the first two terms of the product, you find

[tex]( 1 + 3^{-2^{0}} ) ( 1 + 3^{-2^{1}} ) = ( 1 + 3^{-1} ) ( 1 + 3^{-2} ) = ( 1 + 3^{-1} + 3^{-2} + 3^{-3} ) . [/tex]

The first three terms yield

[tex]( 1 + 3^{-1} + 3^{-2} + 3^{-3} ) ( 1 + 3^{-2^{2}} ) = ( 1 + 3^{-1} + 3^{-2} + 3^{-3} ) ( 1 + 3^{-4} ) = ( 1 + 3^{-1} + 3^{-2} + 3^{-3} + 3^{-4} + 3^{-5} + 3^{-6} + 3^{-7}) . [/tex]

What sort of finite series is this? How many terms are there is each successive multiplication? Is there a formula for the sum of the general finite series?

1. What is the "Prove Series Product"?

The "Prove Series Product" is a mathematical formula that is used to prove the equality between two expressions. It involves using mathematical induction to show that the expressions are equal for all values of the variable.

2. How do you prove the equation 1+3^(-2^n) = 3/2(1-3^(-2^n+1)) using the "Prove Series Product"?

To prove this equation, we can use mathematical induction. First, we show that the equation is true for n=1. Then, assuming it is true for n=k, we can show that it is also true for n=k+1. This will prove that the equation holds for all values of n, and therefore is true.

3. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof that is used to prove a statement for all values of a given variable. It involves showing that the statement is true for a base case, and then showing that if it is true for n=k, it is also true for n=k+1. This process is repeated until it is shown to be true for all values of the variable.

4. Can you explain the steps involved in using mathematical induction to prove the "Prove Series Product" equation?

To prove the "Prove Series Product" equation using mathematical induction, we first show that it is true for n=1. Then, assuming it is true for n=k, we can show that it is also true for n=k+1. This involves plugging in k+1 for n in the equation and simplifying until it matches the expression we are assuming to be true for n=k. This process is repeated until we have shown that the equation holds for all values of n.

5. Why is mathematical induction a useful tool for proving equations?

Mathematical induction is a useful tool for proving equations because it allows us to prove statements for all values of a given variable. It is a step-by-step process that ensures that the equation holds for each value of the variable, rather than just a select few. This makes it a strong and reliable method of proof in mathematics.