Shopping for a Nikon DSLR? Better buy it soon

In summary, flooding in Thailand has caused Nikon's factory to shut down, resulting in limited supplies of consumer-level DSLR bodies and lenses. The water has been at least 2 meters deep for weeks and there is no indication of it receding. Stock supplies will be scarce once current stock is sold. This has prompted some people to consider buying cameras sooner than planned.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The current flooding in Thailand has shut down Nikon's factory that makes most of their consumer-level DSLR bodies and lenses. The water has been at least 2 meters deep for the past few weeks, and apparently shows no signs of receding yet. See the before-and-after pictures in the following article:

http://www.digitalcamblog.com/201110986-nikon-factory-in-thailand-closed-damaged-due-to-flood-before-after-photos/ [Broken]

Supplies of these cameras will surely become very tight when the current stock has been sold. I was thinking of buying a D7000 during the holiday season, but now I'm considering doing it this week, even though I'm not going to have much time to play with it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, I suppose so... I did buy that camera without any problems and am still using it, although my iPhone has since taken over a lot of the basic photography. :oldwink:

1. What is a Nikon DSLR?

A Nikon DSLR is a type of digital camera produced by the Nikon Corporation. It stands for "digital single-lens reflex" and is a popular choice among professional and amateur photographers.

2. Why should I consider buying a Nikon DSLR?

Nikon DSLRs are known for their high-quality images, advanced features, and durability. They also have a wide range of lenses and accessories available, making it easy to customize your camera to fit your specific needs.

3. What factors should I consider when shopping for a Nikon DSLR?

Some important factors to consider include your budget, your photography goals and style, the types of lenses and accessories you may need, and the features and capabilities of the camera itself. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different models to find the best fit for you.

4. Is it necessary to buy a Nikon DSLR soon?

There is no specific timeline for when you should buy a Nikon DSLR. It ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences. However, if you are in the market for a new camera and have been considering a Nikon DSLR, it may be beneficial to make the purchase sooner rather than later so you can start taking high-quality photos and familiarize yourself with the camera's features.

5. How do I know which Nikon DSLR is right for me?

The best way to determine which Nikon DSLR is right for you is to do your research and consider your specific needs and budget. You can also visit a camera store to try out different models and get a feel for their features and functionality. Additionally, reading reviews and talking to other photographers can help you make an informed decision.