How to Erase Windows and Install a New OS Using DOS?

XP pro 2000 that he had tried to update. As a result, he cannot log on to Windows anymore. Since he doesn't have any important files on the computer, the solution is to install a different OS. To do this, they will need to use a DOS boot disk, which can be obtained from a Windows 98 boot disk. Once the new OS has been chosen, the installation disc can be used to format the hard disk and install the new OS. In summary, Warren's computer has a pirated copy of XP pro 2000 and he needs to install a different OS using a DOS boot disk and the installation disc for the new OS
emortis9
My friend came to me with a problem about his computer. He unknowingly had a pirated copy of XP pro 2000, and tried to update. Well needless to say, he cannot log on to windows now. He doesn't have anything on the computer worth keeping, so I am just going to give him another OS. Question is: How do I erase Windows and install, say, Freebsd(or any other OS) using DOS? I've been working on this for a while now and would be grateful for any help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
There is no DOS underneath XP unlike WIN 3.0-98.

get a dos boot disk. The win 98 boot disk should work fine.

Whatever OS you choose to install will come with an installation disc. Use it to format the hard disk and install the new OS.

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of removing windows from DOS?

The purpose of removing windows from DOS is to free up space on the computer's hard drive and improve overall system performance. It can also be done to switch to a different operating system or to troubleshoot issues with Windows.

2. How can I remove windows from DOS?

To remove windows from DOS, you will need to access the command prompt and use the "format" command to erase the Windows partition. This will delete all files and programs associated with Windows. Alternatively, you can also reinstall a different operating system over the Windows partition.

3. Will removing windows from DOS delete all my files?

Yes, removing windows from DOS will delete all files and programs associated with Windows on the computer's hard drive. It is important to back up any important files before proceeding with the removal process.

4. Can I reinstall windows after removing it from DOS?

Yes, you can reinstall Windows after removing it from DOS. However, you will need to have a valid Windows installation disk or USB drive to do so.

5. Is removing windows from DOS reversible?

No, removing windows from DOS is not reversible. Once the Windows partition is erased, it cannot be recovered. It is important to make sure that you want to permanently remove Windows before proceeding with the removal process.