Infinite Sequence Involving A Factorial

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of the sequence a_n = \frac{(2n -1)!}{(2n)^n} as n goes to infinity. The suggestion is to look at a bound and take the limit of that to find the answer.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

[itex]a_n = \frac{(2n -1)!}{(2n)^n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure how to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

[itex]a_n = \frac{(2n -1)!}{(2n)^n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure how to solve this problem.

What are you supposed to do with an? Find its limit? Sum it?

RGV

Oh, I am sorry that I did not specify. I need to take the limit as n goes to infinity of this sequence.

Does it seem, to anyone, that I have left any more information out?

Hint: Try looking at a bound...what's it greater than, or what's it less than. Then take the limit of that, you should have your answer.

What is an infinite sequence involving a factorial?

An infinite sequence involving a factorial is a sequence of numbers in which each term is calculated by multiplying the previous term by the factorial of a constant number. For example, the sequence 1, 2, 24, 288, ... is an infinite sequence involving the factorial of 4, as each term is calculated by multiplying the previous term by 4!.

How is an infinite sequence involving a factorial different from a regular factorial sequence?

A regular factorial sequence is a sequence in which each term is calculated by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. In contrast, an infinite sequence involving a factorial multiplies the previous term by the factorial of a constant number. This results in a much faster growth rate for the terms in the sequence.

What is the formula for an infinite sequence involving a factorial?

The formula for an infinite sequence involving a factorial is: an = an-1 * k!, where k is the constant number and an represents the nth term in the sequence.

Can an infinite sequence involving a factorial have negative terms?

No, an infinite sequence involving a factorial cannot have negative terms. This is because the factorial of a negative number is undefined. Therefore, the terms in the sequence will always be positive.

What are some real-world applications of infinite sequences involving factorials?

Infinite sequences involving factorials are often used in mathematical and scientific calculations. They can also be found in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. For example, they are used in the calculation of probabilities and in the analysis of algorithms.