Research Proposal for Postdoc in Geophysics: Tips & Guidelines

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a research plan for a postdoctoral position in Europe. The subject is geophysics and the individual is unsure about how much detail to include and whether to cite individuals from institutions like Stanford. They are also unsure of the appropriate length of the research plan and how to seek guidance. It is suggested to consult with the professor or group leader for guidance, and to check the specific grant's website for clarification. The level of detail in the proposal may vary depending on the research program.
Milentije
I want to apply for postdoc(Europe),so I need to write a research plan.I do not know how much should I go into details.The subject is geophysics,also it will be different from what I have done for my PhD.Should I cite the people from Stanford for example.Like Mavko shows this ,I am going to further invetigate...How many pages?I have seen on internet a lot of different advices regarding this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just ask the professor that will supervise you, or the group leader or somebody else with experience. Every research program is different and the level of detail in the proposal differs too. If there is a website for the specific grant (Marie Curie fellowship program for instance) then first check their website and if it's unclear, write to the contact person.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics?

A research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics is a detailed plan that outlines the objectives, methodology, and potential significance of a proposed research project. It is a crucial component of the postdoctoral application process and is used to demonstrate the applicant's research skills and potential for independent research.

2. What should be included in a research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics?

A research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics should include a clear and concise title, background information on the research topic, a statement of the research problem, a description of the methodology and techniques that will be used, a timeline for the project, and a brief discussion of the potential impact and significance of the research.

3. How long should a research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics be?

The length of a research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics can vary, but it is typically between 3-5 pages. It is important to be thorough and provide enough detail to convince the selection committee of the feasibility and importance of the proposed research project, while also being concise and avoiding unnecessary information.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for writing a research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help you write a strong research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics. These include clearly defining the research problem, providing a detailed methodology, addressing potential challenges and limitations, and discussing the potential impact and significance of the research.

5. How can I make my research proposal for a postdoc in geophysics stand out?

To make your research proposal stand out, you should focus on presenting a well-defined and innovative research project that aligns with your skills and experience. Additionally, you can highlight any relevant publications or previous research experience, and make sure to follow the guidelines and instructions provided by the postdoc program you are applying to.