Partial DIfferential Equations

In summary, The problem is that the t part of the differential equation is incorrect, and the solution is C1 = C2 = 0 if lambda is imaginary.
stunner5000pt
Solve using separation of variables and find particular solution
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - u = 0 \ for\ 0 <x<1, t >0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,0) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 0,t) = u(1,t) = 0 [/tex]
to assume u(x,t) = X(x) T(t)
then [tex] \frac{X''}{X} = \frac{T'' - T}{T} = \lambda [/tex]
solving for X(x) yields [tex] X(x) = C_{1} \cos{\sqrt{\lambda} x} + C_{2} \sin{\sqrt{\lambda} x} [/tex]
and i get C1 = 0 and C2 assumed to be 1 and [itex] \lambda = \sqrt{n \pi} [/itex]
now for T(t),
[tex] T'' - (1 + n^2 pi^2) T = 0 [/tex]
now here is where i am stuck...
is the answer just the
[tex] C_{1} \cos{\sqrt{1 + n^2 \pi^2} t}+ C_{2} \sin{\sqrt{1 + n^2 \pi^2} t} [/tex]
i'm not quite sure what to do after this
the answer in my book is [tex] \cos{\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 -1}} t} \sin (n \pi x) [/tex]
i got the x part right... but what about the t part

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stunner5000pt,

Sorry, I got all confused there, and I read your differential equation backwards. Your problem is simply that [tex] \lambda < 0 [/tex] in order to obtain sines and cosines and meet the boundary condition for the x part. In reality, you should have [tex] - \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/tex] and not [tex] \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/tex].

Once you have solved the t part, apply the boundary condition you haven't used yet.

Last edited:
the DE is
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - u = 0 [/tex]

2 negative signs

what is wrong with the equation?

Yeah, my fault, I read it as
[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - u = 0,
[/tex]
and then realized my mistake as I was thinking about the solution.

uh.. the t part was the part at which i was stuck.

the condition given is [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,0) = 0 [/tex]
im not quite sure howto relate this to what i have already...

First, as I said, your general solution to the t part in your first post is incorrect, it should be
[tex]
T(t) = C_1 \sin{(\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 -1} \,t )} + C_2 \cos{(\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 - 1}\, t)}
[/tex]
Now, regarding the boundary condition, what do you mean you don't know how to relate it to what you have? Just take the derivative of [tex] u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) [/tex] with respect to t and set it equal to zero for t=0.

why should the generla solution for T be that?

Read my post 2 above, and try to figure it out.

so why should [itex] - \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/itex]
i m not sure about the 'conditions on the x part' to which you are referring. And wouldn't the solution become imaginary if that was the case?

What is the solution to
[tex]
\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2 X}{dx^2} = \lambda,
[/tex]
isn't it
[tex]
X = C_1 e^{\sqrt{\lambda} x} + C_2 e^{-\sqrt{\lambda} x}.
[/tex]
you get real exponentials and not real sines and cosines if [tex] \lambda > 0 [/tex]. If you try applying the boundary conditions with real exponentials then you find [tex] C_1 = C_2 = 0 [/tex]. Take it from here.

i get it now lambda mustb e imaginary iof you are going to use Eler's identity and expand E into cos and sin. ANd thus carries onto the T(t) part where C1-0 and C2 =1 and the solution is what appears in the book

thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between these two types of differential equations is that a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables, while an ordinary differential equation only involves one independent variable. This means that a PDE has a higher degree of complexity and requires more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

What are some real-world applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and financial mathematics. For example, PDEs are used to model the flow of fluids in pipes, the distribution of heat in a material, and the behavior of stock prices in financial markets.

How are partial differential equations solved?

There is no single method for solving all types of partial differential equations. The approach used depends on the specific equation and its boundary conditions. Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods.

Why are partial differential equations important in science?

Partial differential equations play a crucial role in the development of mathematical models that describe natural phenomena and engineering processes. They allow scientists and engineers to make predictions, analyze data, and design solutions to complex problems. PDEs are also fundamental to many branches of mathematics, such as functional analysis and harmonic analysis.