Understanding the Definition and Application of Multiplication

In summary, the rigorous definition of multiplication is repeatedly adding positive integers, which can be extended to rationals, reals, and complexes through algebraic means. The set Z3,+ is a subgroup of Z7,+ through an isomorphism. Multiplication can also be thought of as counting the elements of a cartesian product, and commutativity is illustrated through this concept. Additionally, addition on the real numbers and multiplication on the positive reals can be seen as equivalent through the exponential mapping.
roger
What is the rigorous definition of multiplication and how can it be shown to be like repeated addition ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The rigorous definition of multiplying positive integers is that it is repeatedly adding them.

It is extended to rationals algebraically, and to the reals by continuity, and thence the complexes by algebraic means.

See the VSI (A Very Short Introduction to) book on Mathematics.

matt grime said:
The rigorous definition of multiplying positive integers is that it is repeatedly adding them.

It is extended to rationals algebraically, and to the reals by continuity, and thence the complexes by algebraic means.

See the VSI (A Very Short Introduction to) book on Mathematics.

but why isn't the set Z3,+ a subgroup of Z7,+ ?

roger said:
but why isn't the set Z3,+ a subgroup of Z7,+ ?
? It is a subgroup! Or, rather, is isomorphic to a subgroup. Mapping {0, 1, 2} to {0, 9, 18}, in that order, is an isomorphism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I either understand what roger is getting at or that i agree with halls, though exactly what Z3 and Z7 are is ambigous, but reading them as Z mod 3 and 7 together then the former is not a subgroup of the latter (additvely). But who says that they must be? (apart from roger)

HallsofIvy said:
? It is a subgroup! Or, rather, is isomorphic to a subgroup. Mapping {0, 1, 2} to {0, 9, 18}, in that order, is an isomorphism.
Sorry. For some reason my eyes bollixed on me and I read Z7 as Z27!

i tend to think of multiplication as any operation which distributes over adition.for positive integers I like to think of multiplication as counting the elements of a cartesian product.

I.e. if a set S has n elements and a set T has m elements then their cartesian product, i.e. the rectangle you build with base S and height T, has nm elements.

this also works for infinite sets. it also illustrates why commutativity is true, by turning the rectangle on its side.

of course from a certain point of view, considering them separately, addition on the real and multiplication on the positive reals, they are prety much the same, under the exponential mapping.

What is multiplication?

Multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves combining two or more numbers to find their total product. It is often represented by the symbol "x" or "*".

How is multiplication different from addition?

Multiplication is different from addition because it involves repeated addition. For example, 2 x 3 means adding 2 three times: 2 + 2 + 2 = 6. Addition, on the other hand, simply combines two or more numbers to find their total.

What are the basic rules of multiplication?

The basic rules of multiplication include the commutative property, which states that the order of the numbers does not affect the product (e.g. 2 x 3 = 3 x 2), and the associative property, which states that the grouping of numbers does not affect the product (e.g. 2 x 3 x 4 = (2 x 3) x 4 = 24).

How is multiplication related to division?

Multiplication and division are inverse operations. This means that multiplication can be used to solve division problems (e.g. 6 / 3 = 6 x (1/3) = 2), and division can be used to solve multiplication problems (e.g. 2 x 3 = 6 ÷ 3 = 2).

What are some real-life applications of multiplication?

Multiplication is used in everyday life for tasks such as calculating prices at the grocery store, determining the total number of items in a group, and finding the area or volume of a shape. It is also used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.