Bachman's Geometric Approach to Differential Forms: Chains & Cells

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
In summary, Bachman defines a Z-module of chains with integer coefficients, while Pemantle may define a vector space or a module over a field or ring with coefficients in that field or ring.
Rasalhague
Bachman: A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms, p. 65:

A k-chain is a formal linear combination of k-cells. As one would expect, we assume the following relations hold:

S - S = {}

nS + mS = (n+m)S

S + T = T + S

Questions. (1) I know the term linear combination from linear algebra, but what is a formal linear combination?

(2) What are n and m: integers, rational numbers, real numbers?

(3) Is it also assumed that m(S + T) = mS + mT, and does 1S = S? The numbers 1 and -1 distribute over cells in his definition of the boundary of a cell, and I think he assumes that the latter relation holds too. This would imply that k-chains make a vector space or a module, if m and n represent elements of a field or ring respectively.

(NOTE: Bachman writes n-chain and n-cells; I changed this to k, as I'm guessing the n in the name has no connection to the n in his second relation.)

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math.upenn.edu/~pemantle/581-html/chapter04.pdf source also uses the expression "formal linear combination" in defining a chain (also without definition), although here the elements combined are maps from "p-simplices" that are subsets of Rp to a manifold M, rather than the images of unit cubes in Rp under a map to M. He also says, "Boundaries are a subset (in fact, a sub-vector space) of the cycles" (p. 64), and the cycles are a subset of the chains. So, reading between the lines, perhaps Bachman's chains and this guy (Pemantle)'s chains are vectors, in which case the coefficients of Bachman's cells would belong to a field, such as the rationals or the reals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rasalhague said:
Bachman: A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms, p. 65:

Questions. (1) I know the term linear combination from linear algebra, but what is a formal linear combination?

The simplices are geometric objects not elements of a Z-module. But on can formally write down Z-linear combinations of them as though they were. These linear combinations are really just symbols but they produce a Z-module just the same.

(2) What are n and m: integers, rational numbers, real numbers?

chains are usually first presented over the integers but one could just as easily use any commutative ring with identity. In this case I think n and m are integers because these letters typically denote integers.

(3) Is it also assumed that m(S + T) = mS + mT, and does 1S = S? The numbers 1 and -1 distribute over cells in his definition of the boundary of a cell, and I think he assumes that the latter relation holds too. This would imply that k-chains make a vector space or a module, if m and n represent elements of a field or ring respectively.

(NOTE: Bachman writes n-chain and n-cells; I changed this to k, as I'm guessing the n in the name has no connection to the n in his second relation.)

yes, 1S = S, m(S + T) = mS + mT is just scalar multiplication in the formal module.

To be precise the formal module is all formal linear combinations of the simplices modulo the equivalence relations, m(S + T) = mS + mT and so forth.

Thanks, lavinia. To summarise, the structure being defined by Bachman is a Z-module, meaning a module over the integers. Its elements are chains of cells with integer coefficients. "Formal" is (operationally) superfluous in formal linear combination, like the "linear" in "linear vector space"? But perhaps, although it doesn't denote any difference, it carries a connotation of being "merely symbolic". Pemantle defines his chains slightly differently with maps called simplices in place of Bachman's sets called cells. He probably allows the coefficients to be at least rationals, possibly reals, since he describes chains as vectors.

I am not familiar with Bachman's Geometric Approach to Differential Forms, so I cannot provide a detailed response to the content. However, based on the information provided, I can make some general comments and suggestions.

1) A formal linear combination is a mathematical expression that involves adding or subtracting terms that are multiplied by coefficients. In this case, the terms are k-cells and the coefficients are integers, rational numbers, or real numbers.

2) The variables n and m can represent any of the mentioned numbers, as long as they satisfy the given relations. It is not specified in the content what specific numbers they represent.

3) It is possible that m(S + T) = mS + mT and 1S = S hold, but without further context or information, it is difficult to say for certain. It would be helpful to refer to Bachman's book or other sources for a more thorough understanding of his definitions and assumptions.

Overall, it seems that k-chains form a vector space or module, but it would be best to consult Bachman's book or other resources for a more detailed explanation and understanding of his approach.

1. What is Bachman's Geometric Approach to Differential Forms?

Bachman's Geometric Approach to Differential Forms is a mathematical framework for studying differential forms in the context of algebraic topology. It uses the concepts of chains and cells to define and manipulate differential forms in a geometric and intuitive way.

2. How does this approach differ from traditional methods of studying differential forms?

Unlike traditional methods that rely heavily on coordinate calculations and coordinate changes, Bachman's Geometric Approach emphasizes the geometric and topological properties of differential forms. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and simplifies many calculations.

3. What are chains and cells in this context?

Chains are formal linear combinations of cells, which are geometric objects that represent different dimensions. Cells can be thought of as generalized polygons or polyhedra, with different dimensions corresponding to different types of cells (0-cells, 1-cells, 2-cells, etc.). Chains and cells provide a geometric interpretation of differential forms and allow for their manipulation through algebraic operations.

4. How is this approach used in practice?

Bachman's Geometric Approach is used in various fields of mathematics, including algebraic topology, differential geometry, and algebraic geometry. It has applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of differential equations and their solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using this approach?

As with any mathematical framework, there are certain limitations to Bachman's Geometric Approach. It may not be applicable to all types of differential forms, and some calculations may still require the use of traditional methods. Additionally, a strong understanding of algebraic topology and geometric concepts is necessary for effectively using this approach.