Questions on diatomic spectroscopy

In summary, The conversation discusses calculating the observed flux and other information from spectra of diatomic molecules. It is suggested to solve the radiative transfer equation and use the Einstein coefficients and relative population of states to calculate the flux. The width of lines can also provide information on line broadening.
ollo
I've been looking at spectra from diatomic molecules. If I know the temperature of the material I'm looking at and I know which transition I want to look at how can I calculate what the observed flux (in Jansky) should be?
Also, what can I calculate from observed FWHM?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ollo said:
If I know the temperature of the material I'm looking at and I know which transition I want to look at how can I calculate what the observed flux (in Jansky) should be?
You need to solve the radiative transfer equation---in particular, finding the Einstein Coefficients

ollo said:
Also, what can I calculate from observed FWHM?
The width of lines tells you many things concerning the cause of Line Broadening

I have the Einstein coefficients and I know the relative population of states, but how do I use these to calculate a flux?

1. What is diatomic spectroscopy?

Diatomic spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the properties of molecules made up of two atoms. It involves analyzing the way these molecules interact with light to determine their structure, composition, and other characteristics.

2. How does diatomic spectroscopy work?

Diatomic spectroscopy works by shining a beam of light, usually from a laser, onto a sample of diatomic molecules. The molecules will absorb certain wavelengths of light, which can be measured and used to identify the molecules and gather information about their properties.

3. What are the applications of diatomic spectroscopy?

Diatomic spectroscopy has many applications in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy. It is commonly used to study the composition of gases, identify unknown substances, analyze chemical reactions, and understand the behavior of molecules in different environments.

4. What types of diatomic spectroscopy are there?

There are several types of diatomic spectroscopy, including absorption spectroscopy, emission spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and fluorescence spectroscopy. Each type uses a different method to interact with the molecules and gather information about their properties.

5. How is diatomic spectroscopy useful in studying the properties of molecules?

Diatomic spectroscopy is useful because it allows scientists to study the structure, composition, and behavior of molecules in a non-invasive way. It can provide information about the electronic and vibrational states of molecules, as well as their rotational and translational motion. This information is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of molecules in different environments.