Summer 2012 REUs (Math and Science)

In summary, people are applying to computer science and math REUs at 10+ schools. Some of the schools that people are applying to have 2012 programs, while others do not. It seems like many of the REUs that people are applying to do not have a 2012 program. It is advised to look into national labs if one is interested in doing a REU in physics or astronomy. It is also advised to find a mentor and to apply to REUs as early as possible.
James LeBron
What REUs is everyone applying to?

I'm hoping to find a list of 10+ schools that have computer science and math REUs. So far I'm thinking of:

1. Rochester Institute of Technology
2. Bard College
3. Hope College
4. University of Mass, Amherst
5. University of Connecticut
6. University of Maryland
7. Rutgers University
8. Texas A&M

And at least 5 others that I will decide on soon.

Unfortunately, it seems like many of the REUs that I wanted to apply to don't have a 2012 program, e.g. Ursinus and the Univ. of Houston.

Physics news on Phys.org
James LeBron said:
What REUs is everyone applying to?

I'm hoping to find a list of 10+ schools that have computer science and math REUs. So far I'm thinking of:

1. Rochester Institute of Technology
2. Bard College
3. Hope College
4. University of Mass, Amherst
5. University of Connecticut
6. University of Maryland
7. Rutgers University
8. Texas A&M

And at least 5 others that I will decide on soon.

Unfortunately, it seems like many of the REUs that I wanted to apply to don't have a 2012 program, e.g. Ursinus and the Univ. of Houston.

Good luck! I'll let you know if I find any, have you tried looking at national labs?

I have a feeling Argonne is looking for both CS and Math, but I don't remember. If you don't mind minor thread direction alteration I could post some Physics REUs I have found as well (some of which might interest you, being that a lot of research is CS heavy).

Also, for Math look for Gallian at Minnesota, perhaps? I heard he's AWESOME and I think I might apply if he has a program this summer.

I've looked at some national labs, but I think I'd fit in better in an REU.

Oh yeah, I don't mind physics REUs. And I'll look at these other math and computer science programs.

when do people usually apply to REUs? summer before which year?

I'm an freshman right now (applied math), and am interested in doing one of these. what do they look at when selecting who gets in? coursework?

Usually people apply during their softmore and junior years. It's not unheard of for freshman to get it, but chances will be slimmer (and chances are already slim). They will look at completed coursework and GPA, letters of recommendation, and your personal statement (which you will write for each REU you apply to).

I've been sorting through all the REU opportunities I've found and hopefully I'll post what I have tomorrow. They'll be mostly Physics/Astronomy, but by tomorrow I might have some more Math on the list.

^^; most things seem to be due in mid-February or early March...except that REU at CERN that was due in December...

Okay...it took longer than I thought ^^;

Here's what I have at the moment:
SURF(Caltech); March? don't know for summer
Find a mentor!
Feb 22, 2012 is the deadline :OOOO
http://www.surf.caltech.edu/2011%20Compiled%20Abstract%20Book.pdf
RQI REU (Rice); Late February for summer
No idea as of Jan. Emailed!
REU Physics & Astronomy Program at Stony Brook (SUNY Stony Book); March 1
Essay required...due in Feburary?
Two letters
UCLA REU;Mid-February for Summer 2012
Feb. 17th
Two letters
UMichigan-AT CERN; 20 December 2011 for Summer 2012
Application Form
Transcripts
2 letters of recommendations
CV (see Purdue OWL)
College of William and Mary? http://www.wm.edu/as/physics/research/index.php
March 1
two letters, see page for guidelines ;O
Purdue REU
March 1, 2012
Two letters
PDF of transcript. . . .?
Teng Acclerator Internship
Feb 15
http://eddata.fnal.gov/lasso/iai/apply.lasso
two letters
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web/students/undergrads.html
Feb 10
Two letters , PDF transcript.

UC Davis REU
February 14 Due Date
http://london.ucdavis.edu/~zieve/REU/reu.html
emailed ><’!
Perimeter Scholars International
February 1, 2012
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/applications/194
3 References? oh...not so bad
International (aka Europe) REU via UF
Due in December :(

That's mostly it for straight physics REUs

Elwin.Martin said:
Okay...it took longer than I thought ^^;

Here's what I have at the moment:
SURF(Caltech); March? don't know for summer
Find a mentor!
Feb 22, 2012 is the deadline :OOOO
http://www.surf.caltech.edu/2011%20Compiled%20Abstract%20Book.pdf
RQI REU (Rice); Late February for summer
No idea as of Jan. Emailed!
REU Physics & Astronomy Program at Stony Brook (SUNY Stony Book); March 1
Essay required...due in Feburary?
Two letters
UCLA REU;Mid-February for Summer 2012
Feb. 17th
Two letters
UMichigan-AT CERN; 20 December 2011 for Summer 2012
Application Form
Transcripts
2 letters of recommendations
CV (see Purdue OWL)
College of William and Mary? http://www.wm.edu/as/physics/research/index.php
March 1
two letters, see page for guidelines ;O
Purdue REU
March 1, 2012
Two letters
PDF of transcript. . . .?
Teng Acclerator Internship
Feb 15
http://eddata.fnal.gov/lasso/iai/apply.lasso
two letters
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web/students/undergrads.html
Feb 10
Two letters , PDF transcript.

UC Davis REU
February 14 Due Date
http://london.ucdavis.edu/~zieve/REU/reu.html
emailed ><’!
Perimeter Scholars International
February 1, 2012
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/applications/194
3 References? oh...not so bad
International (aka Europe) REU via UF
Due in December :(

That's mostly it for straight physics REUs

Nice, I'm applying to Purdue and UC Davis as well.

I'm not applying to any on that list, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing. :)

I was hoping to apply to Caltech's SURF program, but of the projects that I'm interested in, I don't meet the requirements or they "recommend" having skills/classes that I haven't had (in retrospect, I really should have doubled up on math this past semester). I'll probably apply next year, unless I see something else truly interesting.

I ended up on a list of 15 schools. (Math and computer science REUs) Time to get the essays done.

Also, William and Mary has a math REU about matrices, but I'm not applying to that.

Last edited:
Stengah said:
Nice, I'm applying to Purdue and UC Davis as well.

The guy I emailed at UC Davis didn't seem super friendly, but it was just an email. I think I've got a shot at the theoretical particle REU, but they only take a handful of people, so who knows.

Not sure about Purdue yet, I'm making a comprehensive listing of REUs that I might post on the forum later after I've skimmed through and decided what I'm doing. I have about twice as many to look at, but I'm only applying to maybe... 10?

Good luck!

James LeBron said:
I'm not applying to any on that list, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing. :)

I was hoping to apply to Caltech's SURF program, but of the projects that I'm interested in, I don't meet the requirements or they "recommend" having skills/classes that I haven't had (in retrospect, I really should have doubled up on math this past semester). I'll probably apply next year, unless I see something else truly interesting.

I ended up on a list of 15 schools. (Math and computer science REUs) Time to get the essays done.

Also, William and Mary has a math REU about matrices, but I'm not applying to that.

I applied for the LIGO SURF, I think I'm competitive...but I come from a small school, which might hurt me even though my main recommend-er is well published. SURF programs suck for non-Caltech students because you've got to track down a professor who has money to spend on you, and then impress them enough to spend it.

Good luck with the applications!

So one of the REUs I'm applying to clearly asks the student to send LORs electronically with the rest of the application materials. I would have though that asking professors to send you LORs is not ok, but now I'm very confused.

dharris11, which REU is this? Also is that username short for Devin Harris? :)

Anyway I've submitted an application and have 14 to go, but I'm making progress with my essays. Ursinus just re-updated their website so I might apply to that if I don't get in one of my earlier choices.

James LeBron said:
dharris11, which REU is this? Also is that username short for Devin Harris? :)

Anyway I've submitted an application and have 14 to go, but I'm making progress with my essays. Ursinus just re-updated their website so I might apply to that if I don't get in one of my earlier choices.

...14? How do you have time for your classes o_O. . .
I'm sending 8 and it's a lot to work on all those essays and all of my study material and research. Though, I'm also applying to a handful of schools for transfer the applications are staggered.

I'm applying to 15, but I've already submitted one, and my recommender has already sent her letter so everything is done. The secret is time management.

The staggered applications does annoy me somewhat, because it would be great if everything could be done on the same date. I've seen REUs that have deadlines in April.

I kind of feel like the oddball here. I'm only applying to 6 places (Old Dominion, University of Washington, Notre Dame, Cornell, Indiana University, and UC Davis). I got into Michigan State last summer and still have a 3.8 junior year. I'm applying to a mix of accelerator and nuclear physics programs. Most of them involve detectors in some way or another.

I've applied for around 11 so far and it'll probably reach 14/15 when I'm done. All are in particle experiment or theory (or CM theory).

Has anyone else looked into perimeter? I emailed them but nothings up yet.

I have a question: These summer REUSs, isn't it difficult to get publications from them? Isn't it much better to stay at your home university to work on a project that has the potential to get you published?
Basically do REUs help a lot when it comes to gradschool applications? (as opposed to publications)

ThatTallGirl said:
I kind of feel like the oddball here. I'm only applying to 6 places (Old Dominion, University of Washington, Notre Dame, Cornell, Indiana University, and UC Davis). I got into Michigan State last summer and still have a 3.8 junior year. I'm applying to a mix of accelerator and nuclear physics programs. Most of them involve detectors in some way or another.

Oddball because you only applied to six?

I didn't even know Michigan State had a program @.@ What type of project did you work on, nuclear?

LBloom said:
I've applied for around 11 so far and it'll probably reach 14/15 when I'm done. All are in particle experiment or theory (or CM theory).

Has anyone else looked into perimeter? I emailed them but nothings up yet.

The first problem is being qualified, I'm not sure I am. They're looking for people with some significant experience in graduate course material, aren't they?

...Then there's getting in ;)

I'm applying for all particle experiment or theory, field theory work where I can find it.

I'm not actually done with my applications yet though :(

James LeBron said:
I'm applying to 15, but I've already submitted one, and my recommender has already sent her letter so everything is done. The secret is time management.

The staggered applications does annoy me somewhat, because it would be great if everything could be done on the same date. I've seen REUs that have deadlines in April.

Yeah, because clearly the fact that due dates are staggered necessitates that you stagger your submissions.

Testify said:
Yeah, because clearly the fact that due dates are staggered necessitates that you stagger your submissions.

Haha, it means the recommendation letters I'm getting will be staggered though =/ I have everything but the essays done on three/four of mine, but one professor sent all the letters at once and the other is planning on waiting until the last minute on each.

Elwin.Martin said:
I didn't even know Michigan State had a program @.@ What type of project did you work on, nuclear?

Yeah, I was on a nuclear project. They had about half and half condensed matter and nuclear, with a little bit of acoustics and astronomy. It was a great program. Their application's pretty brief and their deadline's usually fairly late.

ThatTallGirl said:
Yeah, I was on a nuclear project. They had about half and half condensed matter and nuclear, with a little bit of acoustics and astronomy. It was a great program. Their application's pretty brief and their deadline's usually fairly late.

:P I might apply then, if things go poorly for my initial set. Though not really directly in my interests, I can both see CM and Nuclear being interesting.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a Summer 2012 REU?

Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a degree program in a science or math-related field are eligible to apply for Summer 2012 REUs. Applicants must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

3. How do I apply for a Summer 2012 REU?

Each REU program has its own application process and deadlines. You can find a list of available programs on the National Science Foundation's website and directly contact the program you are interested in for specific application instructions.

4. Do I need previous research experience to participate in an REU?

No, previous research experience is not a requirement for participating in an REU. These programs are designed to provide hands-on research experience to undergraduate students, including those who may not have had previous research opportunities.

5. Is there any financial support for participating in an REU?

Yes, REU programs typically provide stipends to cover students' living expenses during the program. Some programs may also cover travel expenses. Additionally, students may be able to receive academic credit for their participation in an REU. It is best to check with the specific program for more information on financial support.