Simulation, distribution, statistics.

In summary, the person is looking for a way to determine the best distribution for a set of data they have calculated, including skewness and other measures. They mention the possibility of using an estimator, such as Method of Moments or Maximum Likelihood Estimators, but are unsure of how to proceed and are seeking advice. They also mention needing to find the probability density function and perform a Kolmogorov test to determine the type of distribution.
skaterboy1
I´m wondering how to find out something about distribution functions after I´ve calculated the scewness. I have 15 numbers, mean is 3.206, highest is 7.028 and lowest is 0.9209. Variance is 2.958195. I calculate the skewness and got 0.945.

I´m wondering which of the following distributions is the best match for the numbers I´ve already calculated. I tried to plot the scors I got but it didn´t seem to make any sense.

These are the possibilities:
DU(i,j)).
Geom(p)).
Poisson(lambda).
Weibull(alpha,beta)).
Gamma(alpha,beta).
PT5(alpha,beta).

I was looking for a way to find alpha, beta, gamma etc
I was thinking if it was something about the Kolmogorov test?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey skaterboy1 and welcome to the forums.

For this kind of problem, we use what is called an estimator.

An estimator is used to get an idea of what a parameter of a distribution might be given a set of data. The estimators that statisticians and scientists used have the properties that they are consistent, unbiased and reliable.

We have different kinds of estimators like Method of Moments and Maximum Likelihood Estimators. These templates can be applied for general distributions if the distribution has certain properties (for example MLE can't be applied to Uniform distributions because it is a constant function which screws up the estimator).

What is your mathematical and statistical background like?

Thank you for the reply. Average I guess. Studying engineering.
I red more about this and I have to find probability density function and also plot the numbers i have. I have to do the KS test and find out what type of distribution this is.
I don´t know how to start.

Last edited:

1. What is simulation?

Simulation is the process of creating a model or imitation of a real-life situation or system in order to study its behavior and outcomes. It involves using computer software or physical models to replicate the real-world scenario and analyze different variables.

2. How is distribution used in statistics?

Distribution in statistics refers to the way that data is spread out or distributed across a population or sample. It is used to describe the pattern or shape of the data and can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the data.

3. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics is used to summarize and describe the characteristics of a data set, while inferential statistics is used to make inferences or generalizations about a larger population based on a smaller sample of data. In other words, descriptive statistics describes what happened, while inferential statistics tries to explain why it happened.

4. What are some common types of probability distributions?

Some common types of probability distributions include normal distribution, binomial distribution, and Poisson distribution. Normal distribution is often used to model continuous data, while binomial distribution is used for discrete data with two possible outcomes. Poisson distribution is commonly used to model the probability of rare events occurring.

5. How can simulations be used in statistical analysis?

Simulations can be used in statistical analysis to test hypotheses, make predictions, and explore different scenarios. They can also be used to estimate the probability of certain outcomes and to validate statistical models. Simulations allow for the manipulation of variables and can provide valuable insights into complex systems or situations.