Hi, I wanted to know the following:Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V

• Thread starter adreams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Supply
In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of using a transformer to increase the power supply from 56KVA @ 220-240V to 1000Amps @ 220-240V. The experts in the conversation stated that a transformer cannot increase both voltage and amperage, and that the available power of 56KVA was insufficient for the required 1000Amps. They also suggested providing more detailed information about the transformer needed or ordering a tailor-made one.
adreams
Hi, I wanted to know the following:

Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V (Municipal Supply)

Required 1000Amps @ 220-240V

Can a Transformer be bought to step up and supply the required power.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Really odd question. I don't get it.

Is 56KVA the transformer you want? If you are talking 230 volts in...why do you need a transformer to get 230 volts out?

Please state your question more clearly. Remember, power in = power out in a transformer. A transformer can only raise voltage and lower amps...or lower voltage and raise amps.

However, if you are talking about taking a large incoming voltage and lowering it to 230 volts at 1,000 amps...then yes, a 250 KVA transformer could work...assuming you are talking single phase.

Last edited:

psparky said:
[...] A transformer can only raise voltage and lower amps...or lower voltage and raise amps. [...]

I really wouldn't be so sure about that ;)

To the thread starter: provide us more detailed data of needed transformer - then we can talk. In general, You can always order a tailor-made transformer.

adreams said:
Hi, I wanted to know the following:

Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V (Municipal Supply)

Required 1000Amps @ 220-240V

Can a Transformer be bought to step up and supply the required power.
Psparky is right: that's not what transformers do. Voltage goes up and amperage down or amperage down and voltage up, while keeping power the same. Your power available is 56 kVa (which is 240 Amps at 230V) and a transformer will not change that.

gerbi said:
I really wouldn't be so sure about that ;)

To the thread starter: provide us more detailed data of needed transformer - then we can talk. In general, You can always order a tailor-made transformer.
A transformer has a voltage in and out and a rated kVa (from which you can find amperage in and out). We got all three of those pieces of information, plus a kVa available which is less than the kVa required. This is a conservation of energy fail.

russ_watters said:
A transformer has a voltage in and out and a rated kVa (from which you can find amperage in and out). We got all three of those pieces of information, plus a kVa available which is less than the kVa required. This is a conservation of energy fail.

That's right, haven't read his post careful enought. Energy can't be multiplied. I thought there was a mistake in spec..

Start with the math 56KVA = 56,000 Volt Amps ... 56,0000 KVA / 220 V = 254 A - The "KVA" defines the ratio of the V and A - you can not change one without affecting the other.

What is the input supply for this device?

The input supply for this device is 56KVA @ 220-240V.

What does 56KVA mean?

56KVA stands for 56 kilovolt-ampere, which is a unit of electrical power equal to 1,000 volt-amperes.

What is the voltage range for the input supply?

The voltage range for the input supply is 220-240V, which means it can accept input from 220 volts to 240 volts.

Is this input supply compatible with US electrical systems?

This input supply is not compatible with US electrical systems, as the standard voltage in the US is 120V.

What is the maximum power output for this device?

The maximum power output for this device would depend on its efficiency and design, but the input supply of 56KVA suggests a potential for high power output.