What Type of Cable Should I Use for My Recessed Lighting Retrofit?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrician
In summary: Is 20A good enough? Yes, but you may not need anything that big. You should find out what the inspector will want to see for this particular job and size the wire accordingly.In summary, when installing recess lighting in your house, it is important to follow your local electrical codes. It is recommended to consult with your local building department for specific requirements. The type of cable needed may vary depending on your location. Additionally, it is advised to check with the inspector to ensure the proper wire size is used for the job.
yungman
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to follow your local rules for electrical installation then you really should read them. They vary from country to country and I think they are available wherever you are. Wire colouring and fusing requirements all vary around the World. 'Common sense' is not enough to satisfy an inspector!

yungman said:
I am putting in recess lighting in my house, I am retrofitting it, not a new build. I want to find out what kind of cable I should use to hook up the lights. I take that it should be 3 wires ( Black, white and green) in one type. Is 20A good enough? Of cause I am not using close to 20A, but I want to do it right so I can even pass the safety code inspection. Please advice.

Thanks

It is good that you are going to have it inspected and signed off when you are done. As centaur says, you need to check with that building department (that will be the one to sign off on the work) to find out what your local electrical codes require.

1. What qualifications do I need to become an electrician?

To become an electrician, you typically need a high school diploma or equivalent and completion of an apprenticeship program. Some states may also require a license or certification.

2. How do I find an apprenticeship program?

You can find apprenticeship programs through trade schools, community colleges, or labor unions. You can also search online for apprenticeship opportunities in your area.

3. What skills do I need to be a successful electrician?

In addition to technical knowledge and understanding of electrical systems, successful electricians typically have strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, physical stamina, and good communication skills.

4. Is being an electrician a physically demanding job?

Yes, being an electrician can be physically demanding. Electricians often work at heights, in confined spaces, and may need to lift heavy equipment or materials. It is important to be physically fit and follow proper safety procedures to prevent injury.

5. What are some common hazards and safety precautions for electricians?

Some common hazards for electricians include electrical shock, arc flash, and falls. To minimize these risks, electricians should always follow safety protocols, wear proper protective gear, use insulated tools, and regularly inspect equipment for damage.