Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of reproducing Kaner and El-Kady's Graphene-based electrochemical capacitors (ECs). The process involves reducing Graphite-oxide (GO) to laser-scribed graphene (LSG) using a lightscribe. The individual has found a way to produce GO by using a laser printer transparency film and coating it with GO suspended in water. The discussion also touches on the use of different electrolytes and separators in order to achieve the desired energy and power densities. The team used the ionic liquid 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate (EMIMBF4) to achieve their highest densities. However, it is not possible to make this
ecgoeken
I am trying to reproduce Kaner and El-Kadys Graphene based electrochemical capacitors (ECs). The process reduces Graphite-oxide (GO) to laser-scribed graphene (LSG) using a lightscribe. I think I have figured out a way to produce the graphite-oxide from watching a couple of great videos on youtube. My plan is to laser printer transparency film as a backing because it has been heat stabilized, and coat it with GO suspended in water and allow it to dry onto the film thereby leaving a film of GO. Then I will put this into the lightscribe. This should give me the electrodes needed for the LSG-ECs. I am struggling with which electrolyte to use and what seperator to use. From what I can gather Kaner's team used a couple of different electrolytes with different associated energy and power densities. In one iteration he produced an all solid state cell that used a polymer as both separator and electrolyte. From what I can tell he used the ionic liquid 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate (EMIMBF4) to achieve his highest densities. Does anyone know if it is possible to make this ionic liquid at home or if there is a similar liquid that would achieve similar densities? I am also curious if anyone has any ideas on the separator to use, how to seal the entire cell, and how to attach each graphene electrode together in order to put them in series and in parallel. I know its a lot, but I would really like to reproduce these capacitors and put them to use. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Link to El-Kady, et al's paper:
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/335/6074/1326
Citation:
El-Kady et al,
Science 16 Mar 2012:
Vol. 335, Issue 6074, pp. 1326-1330
DOI: 10.1126/science.1216744

ecgoeken said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to make this ionic liquid at home or if there is a similar liquid that would achieve similar densities?
No, making EMIMBF4 is not really something an amateur chemist can do at home. I don't know if amateurs can purchase it. It's not a particularly dangerous chemical. I would suggest a simple NaCl solution to start.

1. What is Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction?

Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction is a process in which graphene-based super capacitors are replicated or reproduced using the Lightscribe method. This method involves using a laser to create precise patterns on the surface of a material, such as graphene, to enhance its properties and functionality.

2. How does Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction work?

Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction works by using a laser to create patterns on the surface of a graphene-based material. These patterns increase the surface area of the material, allowing for more efficient energy storage and release. The laser also alters the chemical properties of the material, making it more conductive and enhancing its capacitance.

3. What are the advantages of Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction?

Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction offers several advantages over traditional methods of producing super capacitors. This process allows for the creation of super capacitors with larger surface areas, higher capacitance, and faster charging and discharging rates. It is also a cost-effective and environmentally friendly method compared to other techniques.

4. What are the potential applications of Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction?

Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction has a wide range of potential applications. Some of the most promising include energy storage for electronic devices, electric vehicles, and renewable energy systems. It can also be used in sensors, actuators, and other electronic components that require high power and fast response times.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations of Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction?

While Lightscribe graphene super capacitor reproduction has shown great potential, there are still some challenges and limitations that need to be addressed. One of the main challenges is scaling up the production process to meet the demand for these super capacitors. Additionally, the cost-effectiveness of this method needs to be further optimized, and the durability and stability of the super capacitors need to be improved for long-term use.