Muscle contraction-invoke from outside the body

In summary, direct electrical stimulation of the motor cortex during surgery can produce coordinated muscle contractions.
hisham.i
Hello,

Am not studying biology am engineer but iam just wondering if it is possible to make a muscle contract through external voltage maybe through some electrodes connected to some area on the skin.

Regards
Hisham

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, to a certain extent, but not usually as a coordinated muscle response. Coordinated actions can be produced by directly electrically stimulating the motor strip of the exposed cerebral cortex during surgery.

hisham.i said:
Am not studying biology am engineer but iam just wondering if it is possible to make a muscle contract through external voltage maybe through some electrodes connected to some area on the skin.

Of course it's possible, haven't you seen this commercial?

http://www.theflexbelt.com/?mcp=4140&KEYWORD=a%20b%20belt&gclid=CNrwreXvjLgCFU2CQgod61wAgQ

Trust me, they work. My mom bought one some time ago and made me try it. It works so well it's creepy. So creepy, in fact, that I only tried it once. Of course, you could save some money and find out for yourself by sticking your finger in a light socket. But I wouldn't recommend that. Just take my word for it that it works.

Thanks for your replies, but can anyone give more details how it works to make a muscle contract from outside source? what really happened?

^
I generally don't like to reference Wiki articles for inquires like yours, but this article explains the complex and incompletely understood process about as clearly as any I was able to find. Essentially direct electrical stimulation of a muscle acts like a nerve action potential arriving at the junction of a nerve axon with muscle tissue (the neuromuscular junction). This opens voltage dependent calcium channels which in turn causes the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This results in an "end plate potential" which propagates through the muscle cell. The process ultimately leads to two proteins, actin and myosin sliding over each other by way of ATP dependent cross bridge activation causing muscle contraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitation–contraction_coupling

This second article is less detailed in terms of the process, but probably more clear if you don't have some general understanding of the subject.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/the-sliding-filament-theory-of-muscle-contraction-14567666

Last edited:

1. How does muscle contraction occur when triggered from outside the body?

Muscle contraction occurs when a signal is sent from the nervous system to the muscle fibers. This signal, known as an action potential, causes the release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum in the muscle cells. The calcium ions then bind to proteins in the muscle fibers, triggering a series of reactions that ultimately lead to muscle contraction.

2. What types of stimuli can trigger muscle contraction from the outside?

Muscle contraction can be triggered by various external stimuli, including electrical impulses, hormones, and neurotransmitters. For example, electrical stimulation through electrodes can be used to activate muscle contraction in medical procedures or physical therapy.

3. How does muscle contraction from outside the body differ from voluntary muscle contraction?

In voluntary muscle contraction, the signal to contract originates from within the body, specifically from the brain and nervous system. This type of contraction is controlled and coordinated by the individual's conscious effort. In contrast, muscle contraction triggered from outside the body is not under conscious control and is instead initiated by external stimuli.

4. Can muscle contraction from external stimulation be harmful?

In most cases, muscle contraction triggered from outside the body is not harmful. However, excessive or prolonged stimulation can lead to muscle fatigue and potential muscle damage. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using external stimuli to induce muscle contraction.

5. Can muscle contraction from outside the body be used for medical purposes?

Yes, muscle contraction from external stimulation can be used for various medical purposes, such as treating muscle injuries or disorders. It can also be used in research studies to better understand muscle function and development. However, it should always be done under the supervision of a trained medical professional.