Is it really possible to see down to mag 8?

• Thread starter logic10
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion revolves around the visibility of Neptune with the naked eye and the conflicting information found in various sources. While Neptune's magnitude is sometimes as bright as 7.78, it is generally accepted that it is not visible to the naked eye even under perfect conditions. The Bortle Dark Sky Scale suggests that it may be possible to see Neptune with the naked eye at magnitude 8, but this is disputed by other sources citing a limiting magnitude of 6-6.5 for the naked eye. The discussion also touches on the role of angular diameter in apparent magnitude and its relationship to the visibility of Neptune.
logic10
I saw this thread about Neptune's naked eye visiblity: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=362668 . I found this thread when I was searching for an answer to the very same question that is asked there.

In every source I've seen that actually details the Bortle Dark Sky scale it has been said that one can see down to Mag 8 under perfect conditions (I think I've seen some sources that have said 8.5, which makes this even more puzzling.) Neptune's magnitude is sometimes as bright as 7.78. Yet, every single source I've seen has said that Neptune is not naked-eye visible even under perfect conditions.

To be clear here, I do understand the basic issues relating to apparent magnitude and such. I am aware that Neptune is way farther from Earth than the naked eye planets, and that that is the reason why it is so dim. But... it seems like according to the Bortle Dark Sky Scale it would be just barely within naked eye range under absolutely perfect conditions. Is this true? I've had trouble finding anything that actually addresses the issue, most of the sources that say you can go down to mag 8 do not address Neptune in particular, while most sources that talk about the naked eye planets just say "Neptune is too dim."

So... is it actually possible to see Neptune with the naked eye?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've always read that the limiting magnitude for the naked eye is 6-6.5, not 8. For example here: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0011310 (fig 6.) or here: http://www.astrometry.org/magnitude.php

There's always some variation between individuals, so perhaps that can account for rare cases of people being able to see down to mag 8, but for the majority of observers it should be too dim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know that its really, really hard to find a perfect dark sky site. Most places still get some light pollution, even if only just a tad. But, it seems like according to the Bortle Dark Sky Scale it is possible to see 8.0 under absolutely perfect conditions with good eyesight. I'm not sure what the angular diameter thing is though. That might be the answer to the question. Does angular diameter have anything to do with apparent magnitude?

1. What does "mag 8" mean?

Mag 8 refers to the magnitude scale used in astronomy to measure the brightness of celestial objects. The lower the number, the brighter the object appears in the night sky.

2. Is it possible for the naked eye to see objects with a magnitude of 8?

Yes, it is possible for the naked eye to see objects with a magnitude of 8 under ideal conditions, such as a dark and clear night sky. However, this may be difficult in areas with light pollution or if the object is small or faint.

3. Can a telescope or binoculars help with seeing objects at mag 8?

Using a telescope or binoculars can greatly improve your chances of seeing objects at mag 8. These tools gather more light than the naked eye, making faint objects appear brighter and more visible.

4. What types of objects can be seen at mag 8?

Objects with a magnitude of 8 include some of the brightest stars, planets, and deep sky objects such as star clusters and galaxies. However, the visibility of these objects depends on various factors such as location, time of year, and atmospheric conditions.

5. How can I determine the magnitude of a specific object?

You can use a star chart or a smartphone app to determine the magnitude of a specific object in the night sky. These tools will also help you identify the object and provide information about its location, size, and other characteristics.