Possible alien signal found The 1977 WOW signal

In summary, a mysterious narrowband radio signal believed to be from outside our solar system was detected in 1977. While some hoped it was sent by an advanced civilization, it is more likely to be a natural phenomenon such as a pulsar. The signal, known as the "Wow signal," has not been detected again and remains a fascinating mystery.
scott1
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=318
narrowband radio signal was from outside of our solar system. But was it sent by an advanced civilization?
:approve: :approve:
Don't execpt to be aliens.I'am hoping it is but stuff like this could an error or a bad joke.:wink: :bugeye:
"Get me the President!" at the person whose job it is to get presidents.
Let's hope they have highly advance Universial translaters
Never mind it happened a long time ago.I got to exicted sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The wow signal [I think there have a been a few] was no joke, but nothing was ever seen in that location again.

Mysteries of Wow
by Seth Shostak, SETI Institute
http://seti.astrobio.net/news/article86.html [Broken]

I added to the title to help avoid confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting story, which I, at least, had never heard before. Thanks.

I have taken the liberty to change the word "single" in your title to "signal" to avoid confusion.

...bump...

...possibly a very, very slowly spinning pulsar, with a very great tilt, and a resultingly slow precession of its axis?

Hells. I don't even know if that theory on pulsars is still valid. But I'm sure someone will tell me.

1. What is the WOW signal and when was it discovered?

The WOW signal is a strong narrowband radio signal detected by astronomer Jerry Ehman on August 15, 1977. It was discovered during a SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) project at Ohio State University.

2. How was the WOW signal detected?

The WOW signal was detected using a radio telescope at Ohio State University's Big Ear Observatory. The telescope was pointed towards the constellation Sagittarius and recorded a 72-second radio signal that was not from any known source.

3. What makes the WOW signal significant?

The WOW signal is significant because it is one of the strongest and most promising signals ever detected in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. It has also been extensively studied and has not yet been explained by any natural phenomenon.

4. Has the WOW signal been detected again?

No, the WOW signal has not been detected again despite multiple attempts to locate it. However, the possibility of it being an alien signal cannot be ruled out completely.

5. What are the theories about the origin of the WOW signal?

There are various theories about the origin of the WOW signal, including a natural source such as a comet or a man-made signal from a satellite or a military source. However, the most intriguing theory is that it could be an intentional signal from an extraterrestrial civilization.