Finding the Interval of Convergence for a Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the interval on which a given series converges. The person has found the radius of convergence, but is unsure how to find the interval. They share their work and ask for help. After some discussion, they realize their mistake and correct it, getting 75% of the question right. The conversation also touches on the rule for inequalities and the correct way to write it.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm confused (as usual). I think i found the radius of convergence but then waht do i do to find the interval on which it converges?

The directions says:
Find all the values of x such that the given series would converge.
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/70/aaf16ffcdb10d6976585856b5dafca1.png
The series is convergent
from x = , left end included (enter Y or N):
to x = , right end included (enter Y or N):

Here is my work:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6637/lastscan5ox.jpg

Any help would be great! thankss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OKay i had to of messed up finding the radius of convergence. I looked at a tutoiral and it should be right...
I got
(-7,7); for the interval, which was wrong though. Can you see where i screwed it up? it should be open brackets i got that part right

Okay i did it again, and i tried (-14,14), now i have 75% of the question rgiht, so either -14 is wrong or 14 is wrong but i don't see how u can get any other number then that.
if u have
|(x-7)/7| < 1

and
|(x-7)/7| > 1

Last edited:
Why did [itex]\left|\frac{x-7}{7}\right|< 1[/itex] become x-7< 7??
Shouldn't it be |x-7|< 7? And doesn't that mean that -7< x- 7< 7?
So that 0< x- 7< 14?

Thanks Ivey ur the man! i forgot all about that rule!
w00t.

1. What is meant by "interval of convergence" for a series?

The interval of convergence for a series is the range of values for which the series converges, or has a finite sum. It is typically given in terms of the variable x, and includes all values of x that result in a convergent series.

2. How do you determine the interval of convergence for a series?

To determine the interval of convergence, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests help determine the values of x for which the series converges. Additionally, you can also use the power series representation of the series to determine the interval of convergence.

3. What is the importance of finding the interval of convergence?

Finding the interval of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the series is valid and has a finite sum. It also helps determine the behavior of the series and whether it approaches a specific value or diverges to infinity.

4. Can a series have multiple intervals of convergence?

Yes, a series can have multiple intervals of convergence. This occurs when the series has different behaviors for different values of x. For example, a series may converge for some values of x and diverge for others, resulting in multiple intervals of convergence.

5. What happens if the interval of convergence for a series is infinite?

If the interval of convergence is infinite, it means that the series converges for all values of x. This is also known as a convergent series. It is important to note that even if the interval of convergence is infinite, it does not necessarily mean that the series converges to a specific value. It could still approach a limit or diverge to infinity.